Question When you buckle a child in their seat what do you buckle first?!

Which Do You Fasten First?

• Chest Clip

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Crotch Buckle

Votes: 79 59.8%
  • Other - because there is always an other....

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters

Mags462

Okay - no point to this thread other than curiosity. When you are putting a LO in a car seat, which do you fasten first - the chest clip or the crotch buckle? :p

I always buckle the chest clip first, DH always buckles the crotch buckle first. :D

ADS

krasota

I don't have any particular order. Sometimes it's the chest clip because I've just taken the time to make sure the straps aren't twisted. Sometimes it's the crotch strap to keep him in place. ;)

Mae

Chest clip. Especially when I was using the RN FFing because I couldn't loosen/tighten the harness very well, so I just left the harness at the same length. I found it easier to buckle the chest clip, then the crotch.

But now, the kiddo's new favorite thing is to do it herself, so she does the chest while I do the crotch buckle.

NVMBR02

Crotch buckle. I am not really sure why. I do it now because dd2 likes to buckle the chest clip herself but I have always done it that way, even when they were newborns.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Crotch buckle.

I used to do it in no particular order until one day when DS, as a FFing toddler, arched his back during a fighting-getting-in-the-seat fit, and slid out of his seat. I realized if his chest clip had been fastened, he probably would have started strangling on it. So after that, it was always crotch first.

Now DD does her own chest clip while I do her crotch buckle, so it saves a bit of time and keeps her happy.

Pixels

I buckle DS's chest clip first because he is an expert at the stiff-as-a-board thing and it sorta holds him in place. At least it slows him down a bit while I move his butt back 4 times before managing to quick like a bunny get the crotch strap done.

I used to buckle DD's crotch strap first, then chest clip, because the itty bit of slack taken up by the chest clip made the crotch strap a bit more difficult to do. I don't tighten/loosen on a regular basis. Now she does her own chest clip, and it might be before I do her crotch strap, or as I'm doing it, or after.

Brianna

Crotch buckle. It gets him in his seat, then he likes to do up his chest clip. We would never leave the driveway if I let him do his chest clip first- he loves reaching for the dome light above him.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
In DS' Radian I buckle the chest clip first. I think I buckle the chest clip when putting him in most seats. I don't really know why, that's just how I do it.

ILoveMy3Boys

I always do the crotch buckle first because I always have to dig it out. It doesn't matter if its the Radian, Frontier85s or the Keyfit.

momtoo3

MA70- chest clip
MR65- chest clip
TFP- crotch buckle

I can't get the crotch buckle in on the first 2 without the chest clip in place.
I can't adjust the continuous harness after I do the chest clip on the TFP. I hate having to loosen and tighten the harness on all 3 seats so that is what I do to avoid it.

Notaclue

I buckle the crotch strap first because dd likes to buckle herself, and she is only able to do the chest clip.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Due to back arching, I teach crotch buckle first. I let the kids try to do the chest clip.

VoodooChile

Crotch buckle first, otherwise ds is grabbing for the chicken handle, the DVD player (factory flip-down one that only comes down on road trips), and anything else within reach. He likes to do his own chest clip and it's more likely to be lined up correctly if the crotch buckle is done first.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC