when to booster??

greenpea77

I am at the end of the line with much much loved Marathon. it just expired.

I have 2 kids 7yr -42lb -in GN -in second slot from top. 5.5yr old -40lb in top slot Marathon. We drive smaller cars.

Would you invest in another combination seat at this point to maintain a harness for as along as possible... or would you start HHB the oldest and pass the GN on to the 5.5 year old?

My gut says keep to the harness..but is it really worth another 250.00 ( yes I am in canada) at this stage in the game? We have no one else to pass the seats on to.

I should add my 7yr is very slight ..with tiny hips...WWYD?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I would have no hesitation whatsoever in boostering a neurotypical 7yo. :)

Please make sure you have adequate headsupport behind the child if you use a backless booster (OR if you use one of the highback boosters that requires support).

Because your 7yo is small, I'd look at one of the boosters that works well for children with a smaller build. I believe in Canada you do have the Graco Turbo Booster and the Britax Parkway? Those both work well for children with smaller builds. There are others that work well, too, so if these suggestions don't meet your fancy, we can recommend others. :)

I'd pass the GN to the 5.5yo for now, but wouldn't feel guilty boostering that child in the near future, either.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Assuming a typical-temperament 7 year old, I would probably not spend the extra $$ on another harnessed seat at this point. But you should do what you are most comfortable with. Both options are safe.

ETA: Because of the child's slight build, I would try her in a Britax Parkway SG/SGL because I think the SecureGuard may be a real advantage for the slim-hipped child. But more important is how well each booster fits. She may get a better fit in a Turbobooster.

greenpea77

Assuming a typical-temperament 7 year old, I would probably not spend the extra $$ on another harnessed seat at this point. But you should do what you are most comfortable with. Both options are safe.

ETA: Because of the child's slight build, I would try her in a Britax Parkway SG/SGL because I think the SecureGuard may be a real advantage for the slim-hipped child. But more important is how well each booster fits. She may get a better fit in a Turbobooster.

Thanks for all your thoughts. I have to say I thought I would get replies convincing me to invest and harness both. My oldest would probably fit the harness in the GN to 9!!!! I feel a bit nervous going BB but also a bit relieved as it is easier and cheaper.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
You're more than welcome. :)

By the way, for the record, I'm one of the most extreme "extended harness" advocates on this entire forum and put up with a fair amount of criticism for that around here. ;) And even I think a booster is a safe and appropriate choice for a child that age and size. :D Please rest assured you really are doing OK putting her in a properly fitting booster seat. If you find that for some reason she has trouble handling the responsibility you can think about investing in the more expensive harnessed seat at that time. But most 7 year olds will do just fine in a booster.

greenpea77

Great..I just watched a video on the secure lock offered by the parkway..that is pretty great. Off to look for one of those. last question ( as I noticed you are certified) What age/size combo do you suggest to make the switch to booster. ?

sunnymw

It isn't as much of an age/size thing as it is a maturity thing. For instance, my 5yo is an excellent booster rider. My 6.5yo is NOT. They are both the same size.

I will echo what others have said, the 7-year old is perfectly safe in a well-fitting booster provided that they stay in position 100% of the time.

I know many 5-year olds who are fabulous booster riders, and many who are definitely not ready. Whether they are safe in a booster once they pass age 5 is really is child-dependent because their ability to sit properly is imperative.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
In Canada, booster seats are rated for kids over 40 lbs., so I'd start there as far as size. You said your daughter is 42 lbs so you're good there. We find that children under 4, even if they're "big enough" for a booster, really need to be harnessed due to body shape, skeletal softness, and just cognitive development. So age 4 is often cited as the bare, non-negotiable minimum. Experience tells us that most kids are ready around age 5.5 to 6.5, but that will vary a lot from kid to kid. Whether or not there's any safety benefit to harnessing a kid past that age and size, assuming either seat would be used correctly, is debatable.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Personally, I plan to harness my daughter "as long as I can" but that's easy for me to say because my daughter will be 3 next month and is already 39 lbs. and wears a 4T or 5 shirt size. I doubt I'll have the luxury of trying to decide whether to harness or booster her at age 7. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC