When DID you flip??

When did you flip?

• Knew nothing about ERF, flipped at 1 yr or before.

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Knew about ERF, flipped around 1 yr.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Flipped around 1 1/2 yrs.

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • Flipped right around 2 yrs.

Votes: 18 18.0%
  • Flipped around 2 1/2 yrs.

Votes: 20 20.0%
  • Flipped at 3+ yrs.

Votes: 60 60.0%

• Total voters

2girls4me

I just flipped my youngest around at 2 years 7 months. She was at the max weight for rfing and a new seat just wasn't in the budget.

ADS

thepote

ds1 (15) six months in his t-shield :rolleyes:

ds2 (8) ff at 18m, then back to rf at 2y6m (yay for c-s.o!), then ff at 3y3m

ds3 (5) ff the week he turned 4

dd (1) will be rf for a long time :love:

AtTheSouthDam

DD1, flipped right around 1 year. I knew about ERF but I was very alone in it. No one else knew anything about it and having a two door SUV plus doctors telling me to and my parents asking, I gave in and flipped her. She was over 20#.

DD2 I found you guys :love: I wasn't alone. I had data to back myself and my decision. She stayed RF until she outgrew the RN.

luckyclov

DS1 is 9 years old and I flipped him just before his 1st birthday. I wasn't aware it was 1 AND 20 and he was already 25 lbs.

DD is 7 years old. She flipped at 13 or 14 months.

DS2 will be 2 in 10 days and he's still RFing (and will be after his 2nd birthday, too).

carseatfreak

I turned my oldest dd at 15 months. She was 20 lbs soaking wet...maybe...and her ped told me it was okay to turn her.

I found this site in 2008. My two youngest, who are almost 22 months, are still rear facing and I have no thoughts of turning them forward anytime soon. I don't have much community support locally for erf but I know it's the right thing and my hubby and immediate family does not question that decision.

oxeye

DD1: Flipped at 3.5 when she was 32.5 pounds. She was too tall by height for any of the 35 pound seats available at that time.

DD2: Flipped at 4.5 years old but spent that year going back and forth between RF and FF as she was (still is!) small enough to RF in either our Radian XTSL or the Multi-Tech. I gave her the option at 4.5 years old.

DS: Still RF, will be 3 in February. I will likely do the same with his as I did with DD2.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Haven't read all the posts, but I voted based on the first time we flipped my dd ff'ing and when we flipped my ds ff'ing.

Dd was 18 months old - I flipped her because she hit the 32" height limit on her AOE. I had wanted to keep her rf'ing longer, but wasn't comfortable passing the limit when Dorel told me that I couldn't use the seat beyond 32". (she did re-rf a few times for a few months at a time depending on what I had available for seats and her weight.)

Ds was 3yrs and 2mos in one vehicle, and 3.5yrs in our primary vehicle. He still fit rf'ing in the one seat, but I was tired of loading him in rf'ing and I'd already gotten him past the minimum point I wanted him past so I just turned him once spring hit.

Jan06twinmom

I flipped DS at 2 yo on our secondary car and at 2 1/2 yo in our primary car.

DD was flipped at 4yo in the secondary car and at 4y4m in the primary car.

Both kids were flipped in the secondary car when they hit the 30lb rf limit of our car seat (old evenflo triumph, rf to 30lbs and ff to 40lbs). Both were flipped in the primary car when they hit the 33lb rf limit of our other car seats (old Radian and Britax Decathlon).

At the time that we flipped DS back in 2008, the only longer option for rear-facing was 35lbs and it wasn't worth buying a new car seat for 2lbs and a few more months. If we had a 40lb option back then, DS would have made it to 3+ years rf - he was 38lbs on his 3rd birthday.

Melanie

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
A was turned at 18 months when he outgrew his convertible by height (my crazy long torso baby), he was around 24lbs. He would continue to outgrow seats by height and I would continue to buy new seats until the Radian finally came out and got him to a good booster weight/age... Finally hit 40lbs at 7 yrs old and the only harnessed seats available at that time that fit were the Radian and the brand new Frontier.

M was turned at 2.5 yrs and 28lbs. I'm not crazy about weighing my kids every day and his Radian had a 30lbs limit at that time. We still rf'd him for road trips until 3.5 yrs when he finally hit 30lbs and went ffing permanently.

scoutingbear

C first ride ff at about 22 months. He had an awful post nasal drip that was causing him to cough and puke while we were 3 hours from home. He rode home ff for Our sanity. He
Permanently flipped at 25 months when he maxed out available seats by weight.

Blondie87

I voted 3+. I just okayed the person I do daycare for to flip her son who will be 3 on the 20th of this month...so just 2 weeks from 3 years old. He is constantly undoing his chest clip and getting his arms out, and he's in the 3rd row so she often never even notices. Now he's forward facing as of tonight and top tethered in the captain's chair where she can keep a better eye on him. It's awesome he got this far.. the mom still doesn't know the actual law... lol.

He is still rear facing in my car tho... and I have him 10 hours a day 5 days a week. He also does not undo his chest clip in my car. Used to.. but not anymore.

Heather86

Ds was 4y3m 35lbs and he flipped because he outgrew the myride rf. Although he flipped in my moms car at 3.5 because he hit the rf limit on his fpsvd.

He was briefly ff at 1 for I think 4 months ? Before I knew better.

wildeyes

michayla got flipped at 1 yr 22 lbs. didnt know any better (hey shes 10!)
audrey got flipped 1 week before her 4th birthday. shes still only 30 lbs. that was this past nov. she woulda stayed erf till i installed the babys seat, but well.. i had the seats out to vacuum, and the brand new radian had just showed up, and i wanted to try it out... and since i installed the babys seat today, thats about as far as she woulda gone. :)

Leighsah

I flipped a couple of months after he turned 4 because he was within an inch to an inch and a half of the top of the shell (Radian).....in addition, he was finally starting to express discomfort with having his legs folded so tight. I saw no reason to turn him sooner since he still fit and had no complaints up to that point.

I did let him ride FFing on a few occasions in our two door car just because it was insanely hard to to get a RFing seat in the car and be able to load him in. He did not ride FFing until after 2 though.

morlando27

DS1 (now 7.5) - flipped around 2 years old because he kept pulling his arms out of the harness. I knew rf was safer but hadn't yet found this site and didn't know of the tricks to keep him safely buckled rf.

DS2 turned 3 in October and continues to rf.

Mom2three

DD went FF at 4 yrs old. It got to the point where she was constantly complaining about her legs and back hurting and I was tired of fighting her. She has gone back and forth in an XTSL since then at her request. She will be 5 on Friday and wants to start using a booster.

DS is 2.5 yrs old and still RF. I want to get him to 4 as well. He sat FF last week in my mom's car for 2 miles and thought he was such a cool cat. It took a few days to get him to stop complaining about having to sit RF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC