What would you suggest for a family w/ no money?

todzwife

My brother and his wife are having their first baby in August in Phoenix. His business has been beyond slow and they have very little money right now. What would you suggest for them? He doesn't care if it's a bucket or a convertible.

I was thinking a scenera or a tribute?

ADS

todzwife

Nissan Altima and something similar but smaller (I can't remember what).

I should mention that they are VERY prone to car accidents for some reason and spending $300 on a Radian, while it would be fantastic because that child could use it forever, in reality their 2x a year accident record makes me think that a less expensive seat might be better for them.:eek:

rosey2007

Maybe they could contact their local wic office and see if there is a free car seat program in the area.

laurengt

Scerena would probably be the most economical option but if it'll probably be replaced anyway, i'd go bucket with 2 bases.

That said, if they're prone to accidents, I'd want them to have a better (personal opinion) seat than just a scerena. Insurance should cover a new one every time there's an accident too. Just MHO.

momtoo3

I'd pick a Tribute over a Scenera because it has foam. For me it is also easier to install.

If you want to buy them one or they can buy right now there is also a Evenflo Serenade on nobetterdeal for $54.99 plus $7.95 shipping. I have no idea what a second base would cost though.

ETA: After looking at the measurements page, the Seranade would probably not be the best bet because the handle has to be down with 1.5 in clearance, which most likely won't work in a smaller car.

PikkuMyy

If they're having a girl and don't mind pink, there's the $35 Tribute Sport on Walmart.com: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Tribute-Sport-Convertible-Car-Seat-Daisy-Doodle/14978057

I know Tributes have EPS foam, unlike the Scenera. However, I don't know if the Tribute "Sport" is any different in that respect. I tried searching on this board once to no avail. I'm also not sure how well it fits newborns. I'm sure you could find an answer by searching the forums. :)

There's also a Safety 1st Comfy Carry Elite for $35 in Wayfair's clearance section: http://www.wayfair.com/Safety-1st-C...Car-Seat-IC026AYI-SFT1574.html?clearance=true
Not my favorite seat by any stretch of the imagination, but the front adjust should make it a decent seat on a budget.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC