Question What would you change about the Britax Frontier?

What issue would you like to see addressed on the Britax Frontier?

• I AM AN OWNER AND USER OF A FRONTIER AND WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE…

Votes: 46 32.9%
  • I DID NOT PURCHASE A FRONTIER BECAUSE…

Votes: 37 26.4%
  • I AM CONSIDERING THE PURCHASE OF A FRONTIER BUT HAVE CONCERNS ABOUT…

Votes: 52 37.1%
  • Improve cup holder design to open easier and/or close better

Votes: 34 24.3%
  • Raise harness height to equal that of Regent

Votes: 100 71.4%
  • The buckle tongues slide down under the child and sometimes under the cover

Votes: 43 30.7%
  • The arm rests feel weak – I’d prefer fixed (non-pivoting armrests)

Votes: 25 17.9%
  • Add a fourth crotch buckle position

Votes: 16 11.4%
  • Add hook & loop to hold harness in open position

Votes: 47 33.6%
  • Need to improve ease of installation

Votes: 85 60.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Melizerd

If the Frontier had the same harness height as the Regent I would have bought a frontier. I have one child and I won't be having more so it would have been the last seat I would have had to buy (probably).

ADS

all together ooky

The COVER! Make it machine washable and not mesh (just after two months of use mine looked terrible; now after 8 months it's even worse and I have not washed it yet). It looks all snagged and the padding has fibers sticking out of it. I love the plush cover of my Marathon.

Thicker straps. (My Frontier is from the first batch-recalled)

(I have a Nautilus too)

Morganthe

I AM AN OWNER AND USER OF A FRONTIER AND WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE…

Installation issues --- especially with the Recline Block requirement to be forward for harnessing.
Leaves barely any leg space in a Camry & the lean of the seat isn't comfortable to my child who wants to sit more upright.

Raise Harness height to same as Regent -- would be nice, but again with the recline Block requirement, for that taller child in a sedan, leg space likely would not be enough.

Thicker straps -- would be nice. But I solved the buckle slide by using inexpensive adhesive velcro dots to stop the shackle about 2 inches from the corners. Cheap fix that doesn't interfere with anything safety related.

I'd rather see better quality fabric on the seat as an option. Y'all got plenty of material for other types of seats, figure out something for the Frontier. I'd buy the Madison again. :D

If the arm rests were to be fixed in place, there would be less space for her to enter & exit. Remove them completely or leave them as they are.

Thanks for caring enough to ask for feedback. :love:

jn__

I am hesitant to purchase a frontier because I don't feel like it's really an upgrade from my marathon in terms of strap height. I think it should at least go as high as the regent if not higher.

I would also like to see nice straps - a big reason I initially switched to britax besides high rf weight and high harnessed weight was due to the nice straps.

I also want nicer covers and a machine washable cover.

And if it could be as easy to install as the marathon I'd love that.

Of all issues listed, the strap height is the most important.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Sarah,

Thanks for the opportunity for our feedback. Yet another reason why I love Britax so much!

We owned a Frontier for a very short time period. While it fit my 5yr old perfectly I just could not get an acceptable install with a lap belt only. This is the position I needed it to fit in. I personally would love to see long belt path with lap belt only be an option for installation.

I have had to tell 2 parents that their Frontier was incompatible with their vehicles due to poor installation with the vehicle seatbelt (both children were at the LATCH weight limit for the vehicle- both Honda's).

I also would love to see the harness height raised but that might impede with the Regent sales and man I LOVE my Regent's (all 3 of them). LOL!

skaterbabs

For the record, I would like to say that the #1 reason we *did* purchase the Frontier was because of the super high height in booster mode. :thumbsup: Even though the harness height isn't significantly taller than the MA, it's enough that it should give DD 6 mos to a year more harnessed, and while we're waiting for our recall kit :whistle: my 12 year old is using it as a high-back booster in our Jeep or when he rides with his grandmother on trips when he's likely to fall asleep. He outgrew every other booster on the market last year.

Yoshi

I chose that I did not buy one because (although I actually did buy and return one the next day)

harness height not equal to Regent
and
installation issues

We have a Graco Nautilus which installs easily (seatbelt installs) in both cars. I have owned a Decathlon and Regent and have never had any trouble installing them rock solid in my cars. But the Frontier just would not install tightly with its low belt path. Plus, I think many members here have complained about the twisting straps and the fabric soiling easily- two issues I did not notice because we didn't keep the Frontier.

petsparkle

I didn't get to use the poll (registered too late) but I would have chosen, I didn't buy the Frontier because of the fabric (please can we have something more like the regent) and the installation challenges. I was very close to buying one a few times, and had these two issues been addressed I would have bought 2 of them by now. I did test them in my vehicles, so I have checked them out personally.

U

Unregistered

I bought, and then SOLD, the Frontier. I was SO disappointed. We were BIG Britax fans after owning the Roundabout. We expected the same ease of installation and ease of use that we found with the Roundabout. We were very very disappointed on both counts. The seat was SO difficult to install in two different (one 2009 model, one 1998 model) minivans. It was completely frustrating and I think that we didnt install them well in either. In addition, the straps, unlike the Frontier, twisted all the time and drove me crazy. Finally it was so huge and bulky and heavy. I understand that this is the case with all 5-point harnesses (except Sunshine kids, for width), but I felt that the Frontier was particularly unweildy.

I am very happy to hear that Britax wants feedback, because this product needs serious help. We will be going with the Graco Nautilus.

Thanks,
Michaela B

Last edited by a moderator:

indie

I would have bought it, but I need to fit three across in my car so I bought a Radian instead.

In other words, too darn wide.

spryngtree

We own one. We bought it because it was the only high harnessing seat that my son agreed to sit in. Something about the angle of the seat and the way the "fold" is between seat and seat back made it comfortable for him. That and the red fabric convinced him that he could stand to use it. (he's big on red) We haven't had a problem yet with the fabric appearing worn, we've owned this for about 6 months now.

I am not happy about the twisty straps, we've had a roundabout and a marathon and been happy with the straps on both, the twisty straps on the frontier are annoying.

I would be happier if the seat harnessed higher, and if installation without latch was easier. We had no trouble with latch installation though it did require some muscle to get it in and out.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Using the seat more, now something concerns me. I can pull up on the headrest, and the harness height changes. It makes me nervous.

mamabear

Well the poll is closed but the thread is still open....:whistle:

Sarah,
I think It's awesome that you are really listening to what we want!!

The biggest points for me are the cover( I curse the mesh...I'm on my second one in less than a year and it's looking bad already), the buckles flipping around (sound like you have a fix on that already) and I think it would be so awesome if an anti- submarine clip was included for when you switch into booster mode. Something that could go into one of the crotch buckle slots once the crotch buckle is removed.

I just switched into booster mode to try it out for my 49" 50lb 6yo.
She fits good, but after a while her hips slide forward a little and the lap belt rides up.Not too bad, but I had to remind her to scoot back.If there was an anti-submarine clip I would be at much more ease.;)

Connor's Mom

The poll is closed but I would have voted:
I AM AN OWNER AND USER OF A FRONTIER AND WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE…
1) Raise harness height to equal that of Regent
2) Need to improve ease of installation

And add:
Need to have better cover choices.

P

Phebe

I would have voted:

Did not purchase a Frontier because...

There not available in the Netherlands where I live, unfortunatly because I really need a car-seat like the Frontier.

I just love Britax seats, I was able to use a Marathon for a little time when youngest was smaller, and it was such a great seat.
The only Britax seat available here is the Britax Evolva (Harness till 40 lbs, :( turn in a booster) I would :love:LOVE:love: to see Britax seat like the Marathon, Boulevard, Decathlon, Frontier in my home country (since us moving to the USA is unfortunatly not possible)

Some improvements I would like to see are:

1. Raise harness height to equal that of Regent My oldest daughter has a shoulder hight of 17" and would still fit in a regent
2. The arm rests feel weak – I’d prefer fixed (non-pivoting armrests) My Jane Indy Team Plus seats have pivoting armrests, and I would prefer to have fixed ones
3. Add a fourth crotch buckle position more room for big bottoms :D
4. Add hook & loop to hold harness in open position It's not easy to look for the harness if your child is wiggeling

and

5. Also make this seat available to the european market (please?)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC