What to use for child w/ Mod ID/MR riding a car for school transport 1x/wk

nmb

My 7 year old with Down Syndrome & Moderate Intellectual Disability (or MR depending on source) will be going to a therapeutic horseback riding program from school once a week. (starting today....and we only learned last night that he will be riding in a car, not bus as originally planned). He is the only kid from his school, but there are a few kids in neighboring schools (we were originally told the bus would come pick him up then go to the other schools - ours is the farthest away from the riding center, it's actually in the next town over....guess they decided the bus isn't going to travel out to us for just one kid).
Today I dropped him off with a high-back booster (Cybex - not at all ideal for carrying back and forth to school, it's heavy. Just what we had). I was hoping to be able to install his carseat for him, but they didn't know yet what vehicle he'd be riding in. (and may or may not be the same one to go there as to come back to school after).
He *will* unbuckle the seatbelt (approximately every 2.5 seconds!), and try to open doors or climb in the front. His aide is supposed to go with him - I've asked her to lock the seatbelt and make sure the child lock is on, on the door nearest him.
Is that the best we can do? I have an RSTV, but I'm not sure it'd be used correctly. Esp if they end up deciding his aide could do other work during that time, or if different people ride with him on different days. (they do trade out during the regular day/week sometimes). Also not certain his main aide would do it right either.
I'm also nearly certain that a harnessed seat would not be installed well, esp. the bigger ones that he needs. (He's 41-42 lbs, and 45" tall; rides in a Nautilus and Frontier85 in our cars; in the Nautilus he's on the top slot w/ an inch, maybe 1.5" to grow already)
The school had said they'd have a carseat for him...but I've seen the car seat sitting in the bus room and pretty sure it expired before he was born... almost certainly a 40 lb limit and way too short for him. Did not see exactly what they planned to use on him, just figured better to bring our own.

I would definitely like to get something easier to carry. For me, but also for his aide if she ends up carrying the seat and trying to keep track of the kid (who does run sometimes, and refuses to stop when told). She's a smaller lady, the cybex might almost weigh as much as she does. ;)
But what? A LBB would be easiest to carry back and forth. Not sure there's a huge difference in safety between high or low-back. Biggest thing is that someone sits with him to keep him buckled. (He unbuckles in the RSTV too, not sure he could actually get the seatbelt out of the vest, but doesn't matter if it's not buckled in. Also a slight bit easier to reach the buckle in the vest than in the booster). He cannot undo a 5 pt harness. But there again, if it's not installed well, it's mostly useless too.

I'd also rather not spend a ton, since it'll be 1 day a week, 3-4 days a month...and not sure how long he'll keep going. (depends on his behavior there, plus funding for the school to continue the program).

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

[driving him myself is not an option - I'll be working when he's in the program. If school couldn't/wouldn't provide transport he would not be able to go.]

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If cost wasn't an issue, and LATCH was present, a Safety 1st Go might be just the thing. As it stands... Hmmm. Let me think on this some.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Evenflo SureRide? It's a convertible, but it has higher top slots than a Nautilus, a 65 lb weight limit, it's under $100, and it's lightweight.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
EZ-on? http://ezon.impactfulmedia.com/e-z-on-adjustable-103z-vest-for-the-family-vehicle/

It would probably be hard for him to get the vest off. Or would he still unbuckle?

Doesn't the E-Z require top tether? I'd be concerned it wouldn't be used correctly.

What about the Nautilus used as a booster? And make sure the aides have something to keep DS's hands busy. . .

I think written directions would be necessary. I'd want reassurance that the SAME person(s) would be going with him each time AND that those 2-3 people have experience working with DS AND have been trained to install/use whatever CR you choose (not a random paraprofessional).

It doesn't sound like DS would be able to report what does/doesn't happen.

How cool is it that his school provides/supports therapeutic horseback riding?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC