What to do???

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Nicholas is 2 yrs, 8 months. I had him at the docs yesterday and he weighed in at 31.2 lbs--shirt, shorts, socks, shoes and slightly wet diaper. He's got room to grow height wise in both of his seats(MR, TFP), more in the TFP.

At 1 he was 19-20 lbs. At 2, he was 24lbs...and has been packing it on since it seems.

We're driving from MD to FL in Dec. The plan is to take the TFP because of the anti-rebound and that he'll have a DVD player on his headrest to watch. (I know...but we're talking 16 hrs in the car with a nearly 3 yr old, a 12 yr old, my mother, dh and myself.)

How long do I wait him out?

Susan

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For turning him? Oh gosh, six months? A long time. I'd start worrying when he weighs in at 33 or 34 pounds like that.

Wendy

emandbri

If he gained that much so fast I would bet he just had a growth spurt and you should be okay for a while. I'm pretty sure it took Elizabeth a year to to from 31 to 35.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I don't want to turn him yet. I want him RF for our trip to FL...DH angetd I will be taking turns driving overnight. He sleeps great in the car now and I don't want to mess with that!

I'm nervous that he'll gain those last few lbs and I won't be able to get a Radian80 quickly enough. I've had him in the new generation Britax seats and he looks pretty cramped. And the fight the carseat phase is kicking in---yippee.

Susan

emandbri

My dd did the fight the car seat thing. Kimberly (safeinthecar) suggested rewarding him with a drawing on her hand after she sat down, it totally worked!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
As long as he's less than 35lbs, use the TFP. If he outgrows it and you don't have time to get a Radian (assuming you want that for the RF tether?) then you have the MR as backup. If you end up "stuck" I would use the MR and not think twice about it, DVD player and all.

NannyMom

His weights sound just like Sofi :) She was 19-20 at 1yr, 24 at 2yrs, 31-32 at 3yrs, I don't remember 4yrs, and 35-36 now at 5yrs

ETA: I bet there are people in MD that would loan you a Radian if needed.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I guess we're just another example of why people want the TFP to RF to 40lbs. He's got more height room to grow in it...and it looks like more leg room in the TFP. Of course I just looked at target.com and they've got a ton of seats on sale. Too bad I don't have the extra money to just get it now and be done with it!

Susan

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC