what suv/minivan, etc. for three in second row?

U

Unregistered

Hi!
Just found this site. I have a 4 year old in a Britax booster seat and twins who are 22 months old in a Britax and Evenflo toddler seat.
We currently have a Mazda MPV which has worked just fine. But I would love to have all three children in the second row.
What works with two car seats, one booster seat? I have heard that the Tahoe and the special Trailbalzer? Anything else?
Thanks for all your help!!!
Debbie

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The 8-passenger Sienna is probably the best of vehicle with a 3rd row of seating for fitting 3-across in the second row. The 8th seat option is only $200 extra or so, but is only an option on the CE and LE trims.

All three seats in the 2nd row have full seatbelts and LATCH. The center seat even moves forward partway between the front seats so an infant can be within reach.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Darren ~ can you also briefly explain the difference between these packages vs. the AWD package? My brain is soooo overworked with the semester starting & being out of work sick, filling out applicaitons for certification classes (childbirth & childcare), planning my trip etc. *Aaaah!* that I'm just not grasping the tiny font I printed from the Toyota site outlining the oh so many packages :eek: Also, I lost the hybrid info website you posted once ... do you have any idea what the Hybrid Sienna package/s might include :confused: Pointing me in the direction of links would suffice if you're too busy :eek:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
OK - thanks for that 1st link (hadn't seen it before) & also for the hybrid cars link ... why didn't it show up in my Google search?! :rolleyes:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I have an '05 Tahoe but mine has caption chairs. But, The Tahoe with a 2nd row bench can fit 3 across. The Tahoe has LATCH in all 2nd row seating positions with lap/shoulder belts in all 3 seating positions. The only position that does not have lap/shoulder belt is the 3rd row center as its a 50/50 split bench. But, Both 3rd row outboard positions have lap/shoulder belts.

I LOVE my Tahoe. I am not a minivan mom or should I say we are not a minivan family and never will be. Dh refuses to buy one which is fine by me as I have yet to find one that I think is styling wise good looking. JMHO!

U

Unregistered

Another Option

I have a Saturn Vue (AWD) and can get three seats in the back easily. Only one has to be relatively narrow (like a Cargo etc.) I can easily fit two Britax (I havn't tried three...maybe I should) I've also had a RF WZ, FF Chase, and FF Comfortsport. Chevy also has a version of this vehicle that has the exact same backseat. I can't think of what it's called right now. It was designed to fit car seats easily- or so I was told a year ago at Chevy.

We have loved ours. It's 2+ years old. No problems and the service department has been better than the Mercades service dept that my parents went to! We are thinking of selling it just because we are always needing another seat and getting a Mazda 5 (six seats), but may not since we really like it a lot.

Hope that helps.
Joy
DD 8-21-03 FR in WZ (and occational other freinds in carseats)

U

Unregistered

We have a '04 Chevy Venture and it has three 'captains chairs' across the second row and a big bench seat in the third row. (You can also remove any of the three captains chairs if you only need one or two)
I can fit three carseats across ( A Cosco infant seat Rf, a Graco Turbo Booster, and a Graco Comfort Sport FF) Plus, one of the captains chairs has an integrated child seat, that I have used occasionally when I drive for field trips, etc. It's great!

Dawn

I highly recommend the 8 passenger Sienna!
My Sister in law has triplets and she has all three across in the second row. How that they are moving to rear facing convertible seats she can fit three Britax marathons side by side with no problems at all.
A big advatage of the 8 passenger Sienna is that it gives you LATCH in 5 locations. Most vans give you two or maybe three.

U

Unregistered

do any of the 3rd ROW SUV's have LATCH?

I am looking at the FORD EXPEDITION, GMC YUKON or ENVOY, CHEVY TAHOE, ACURA MDX, HONDA PILOT.

I have two (ages 3 & 5) in Britax MA & Wizard carseats, but they like to spend to much time fighting so I would like to "safely" put one in the rear.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Some do. Usually, the car-based models tend to be a bit better about having extra LATCH positions in the third row. Plus, many models have numerous seating options and they vary from year to year, so you really need to verify in person.

As long as it results in a secure installation, a seatbelt is just as safe as LATCH. In fact, many vehicle manufacturers require you to use the seatbelt instead of LATCH for children weighing above 40 or 48 pounds.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I don't have much experience with most of those mentioned above, but wanted to say that the Acura MDX was an awesome vehicle! My guy just traded his back in & we miss it....

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Unregistered said:
do any of the 3rd ROW SUV's have LATCH?

I am looking at the FORD EXPEDITION, GMC YUKON or ENVOY, CHEVY TAHOE, ACURA MDX, HONDA PILOT.

I have two (ages 3 & 5) in Britax MA & Wizard carseats, but they like to spend to much time fighting so I would like to "safely" put one in the rear.

I have a Chevy Tahoe and no it does not have LATCH (lower anchors) in the 3rd row but it does have 1 tether hook in the 3rd row. My Tahoe has caption chairs in the 2nd row and it keeps my 2 girls (4 1/2yrs old & 2 1/2yrs old) far enough to part but close enough to still have fun. If you got a 2nd row bench it has LATCH & tether hooks in all 3 positions.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Tahoe.

U

Unregistered

I think in most minivans you can put the third row bench seats into the second row too. I have a 2005 Kia sedona and I know we can do it with ours.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Most newer minivans have third row seats that are integrated such that they can fold flat into the floor and do not need to be removed. So- they also cannot be swapped to the second row. Chrysler and Nissan even have this type of seating in the second row. The 2006 Kia Sedona will have an integrated, folding third row seat, also.

U

Unregistered

What vehicle to buy?

I have an infant and a toddler with a third on the way. I currently have an Escalade with 2 captains chairs in the middle and third row. But there is no storage behind the third row. Am now trying the infant and toddler in the very rear of vehicle (is this safe?) so that new baby can be in captains chair in 2nd row along with DH and I'll chauffeur. Wouldn't it be better to get a decent size car or smaller SUV (or even a truck) with only 2nd row with all three in a row and a decent size trunk space ... or have I lost my mind?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC