What slot is your almost or just turned five year old on in the Nautilus?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Frontier85 has 19.5" top slots, and the Nautilus's top straps are 18-18.5".

Actually, with cover compressed the Frontier 85 measures about 20.25 inches. :)

Bridget has already outgrown the SafeGuard Child Seat, with 19" top slots. :(

ADS

Jennifer mom to my 7

Since your average child will usually last to age 6 in the nautilus, it makes perfect sense that a 5 year old would be on the top slots. Now, my now 6 year old outgrew it before 5, but my now 5 year old would most likely be on the top slots (of course I think my 3 year old would be in or at least close to needing the top slots,too). My almost 6 year old niece is taller than my dd but still fits the harness and will probably outgrow it by weight first.

Yes, the original frontier ended up slightly lower than the nautilus. Then britax did that poll, and asked for suggestions about how to better it (I think they knew people were recommending the nautilus over it because of the price) and they redesigned it with slots similar to the regent. I bet if we searched, we could find one of the threads.

oddduck

My oldest is even with the 2nd to top slot (at least last time I checked). We don't use that vehicle much (maybe 2x a month), so it wouldn't surprise me if she's over now. She's on the top slot of her Maestro (with space) and on the top slot of the TrueFit (with not much space). She's 4.5.

Athena

Those of you w/ LOs outgrowing the harness on the GN, make sure you check *under* the head rest/padding, there is a set of harness slots under there that are kind of hidden.

I'm confused. Are you saying there are slots on the head rest? The top slots I see (and that we are using) are the 4th set in the shell, about an inch below the top of the shell, and fully visible in my nauti (assuming you raise the head rest like you have to every time you raise the slots).

Jennifer mom to my 7

I'm confused. Are you saying there are slots on the head rest? The top slots I see (and that we are using) are the 4th set in the shell, about an inch below the top of the shell, and fully visible in my nauti (assuming you raise the head rest like you have to every time you raise the slots).

I think what she is saying is that sometimes people miss that there is a 4th set of slots, because they do not move the headrest up all the way to expose them.

alake

We don't have any, but we use some of our friends when we are back home. Summer has been on, and still is on the 3rd slot. She hasn't grown much torso height since she was 3. Leah is on the second slot, and this was as of a few weeks ago.

Baylor

My just turned 4 yr old is on top slot! I am hoping now that it is warm I can get through the summer or it will have to go!

rachandsoph

My DD is 4y3m and moved to top slots a couple months as she came over the 2nd to last. She is 42lbs. I think she has a tall torso.

::er!ca::

We moved Brinlee to the top slot around 5. She's almost 7 now, and still fits with room to grow. My 3.5 year old has about an inch to grow (in torso) before needing the top slot. She now rides in a FR85 though.

jolynn6

Zoeys 5 years 5months and she's on the ones below the top lol the 3rd slot from the bottom,2nd slot from the top. Never sure how to say it..she's 33lbs and 40inches tall. Almost ready to move up but it'll be that akward almost to high funny lookin spot

emandbri

Elizabeth is 5 and on the top slots. I had to move it to the top in Oct at 5 years 3 months. I know when I first got the nautilus Benjamin just fit at 7 so I suspect she has about a year and a half left.

Jennee

Dawson is 5 1/2 this month and has been on the top slots since last feb. He has now outgrown them in our elantra and had a bit of room left in the santa fe, I just turned it into booster mode yesterday. I moved the head rest down 1 click and it all fits perfect.
he is 3/4 of an inch away from 4 feet tall and hes all torso.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I feel better now! He is just at or slightly above the 2nd to top, so he has plenty of room to grow. Thanks everyone. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC