What seats can I fit into my honda crv and civic?

T

thesurfacepainter

We have a 1999 honda crv and a 2000 honda civic. We are wondering if there are any car seats you recommend to fit 3 across in the back seats of either of these vehicles? We have a tall 5.5 year old in a graco booster. We have a tall 2.5 year old in a graco nautilus. And are expecting a third to fit into a chicco bucket infant seat. The bucket is set to expire the month the baby is due and we are trying to figure out what to do? It's a tight squeeze when trying all three. We would have to move both the larger kids seats everytime we need to buckle in and out. What a pain. Any suggestions? Please help!

ADS

Evolily

What is your budget? Do you know what slots your 2 year old is on in the nautilus?

It may make more sense to purchase two seats- a narrower convertible for your two year old and a infant carrier for your baby. The baby could move to the convertible when the infant seat is outgrown.

I'm not sure what the current market looks like for narrow infant seats, but for narrow convertible seats people usually have the best luck with diono radians. Your two year old could ride rear facing (under 45 lbs) or forward facing. If you are courageous enough to skip the infant seat and go straight to the convertible, in addition to the radian the combi coccoro is very narrow.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I have a 2000 CR-V and could do 3 across with a Radian, Graco Snugride (22lb version) and Graco Turbo booster (is that what you mean by Graco booster?). The Radian I had behind the driver away both rear and then forward facing (but note that I'm only 5'2", so having it rearfacing wouldn't work for everyone).

I have a forward facing Radian and a rear facing Radian (in the middle) now and can fit a Graco Turbo on the passenger side too. So if your willing to forgo the infant bucket, that may be an option. I don't have a Nautilus, so I'm not sure if that would puzzle in there.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I have a 2000 CR-V and could do 3 across with a Radian, Graco Snugride (22lb version) and Graco Turbo booster (is that what you mean by Graco booster?). The Radian I had behind the driver away both rear and then forward facing (but note that I'm only 5'2", so having it rearfacing wouldn't work for everyone).

I have a forward facing Radian and a rear facing Radian (in the middle) now and can fit a Graco Turbo on the passenger side too. So if your willing to forgo the infant bucket, that may be an option. I don't have a Nautilus, so I'm not sure if that would puzzle in there.

How did you get a RF Radian in the center? I tried and tried and tried with mine and it just won't install there.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I have a 98 CRV that I've done lots of combinations in. The Civic should be the same in terms of back seat room. Here are a few that work:

9-9-11003.jpg

Radian Radian Literider

also works with a TurboBooster, and I know the high back version would fit there as well:
9-9-11001.jpg

8-29-11016.jpg

RF True Fit, FF Radian, Nautilus.

This is a different car, but I've done it in my vehicle too and it works:
7-23-11009.jpg

Keyfit, Nautilus, RF Radian

5-31-11004.jpg

RF Marathon & Radian, High back Turbo Booster

So, the short answer is you're going to need at least one Radian in each car. Easiest would be to put it FF in the center for the 2 year old and then you have lots of options for what goes on the other side. If you're not opposed to a convertible seat from birth, the True Fit combo I have up there would be a great option - you could put the baby RF in the True Fit from birth, put the 2 y/o FF center in the Radian, and put the Turbo Booster next. If you want to do a bucket seat, a Keyfit or Snugride will work outboard next to a FF Radian.

For even more room, buy two Radians, put the baby RF outboard, 2 y/o FF center, and then you have tons of room for whatever booster you want, and by the time the 2 y/o gets to booster maturity, you'll be able to FF the youngest in the center and have the other two booster riders on the other side.

A PP said she got a Radian RF in the center - both myself and a CPSTI have tried and tried in my vehicle and have been unable to get a successful install.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
emma41256 said:
How did you get a RF Radian in the center? I tried and tried and tried with mine and it just won't install there.

That's bizarre. I get a (fairly easy) rock-solid install in the center. It requires about 2 full twists of the belt stalk.

Just a thought... the 98 doesn't have a different body style does it? I know it changed in 2001 or 2002, but they change it every few years I think. That's the only way I can think of the discrepancy. I've had mine there on and off for probably 4 years (so both with the old and the new boot), and iirc it was used as an example during a tech class (of RF tethering).

Ladyl

8-29-11016.jpg

RF True Fit, FF Radian, Nautilus.

You have no idea how happy this makes me! I'm going to have to fit two seats next to each other in a CRV next week. I'll be able to make this work with their regular seats! I just happen onto this thread. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
That's bizarre. I get a (fairly easy) rock-solid install in the center. It requires about 2 full twists of the belt stalk.

Just a thought... the 98 doesn't have a different body style does it? I know it changed in 2001 or 2002, but they change it every few years I think. That's the only way I can think of the discrepancy. I've had mine there on and off for probably 4 years (so both with the old and the new boot), and iirc it was used as an example during a tech class (of RF tethering).

Nope, they're the same, they didn't change until 2002. Does yours look like this?
5OD.JPG

I wonder if somehow your lap belt is different than mine. The problem I have is that those hinges for the folding seat are in the way, plus the lap belt stalk is too long, I can twist it twice but it's not short enough, and if I twist a third time it's too twisty and it forces the latchplate sideways. It's super annoying lol I would've loved to have had it there!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
You have no idea how happy this makes me! I'm going to have to fit two seats next to each other in a CRV next week. I'll be able to make this work with their regular seats! I just happen onto this thread. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Cool!! The center lap belt is really wide set, so you can skew it pretty far to one side. So start with your outboard seat and install it as close to the door as you can get it, and then you can push the center seat right up next to it and it leaves a lot of room for a wide seat or an adult on the other side, especially if they puzzle together at all.

Just FYI though, there is no tether in the center position, retrofits are only available for the outboard sides. I've talked to Sunshine Kids and Britax and both have told me they have no problem with tethering off center, but I haven't checked with any other manufacturers about it.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
emma41256 said:
Nope, they're the same, they didn't change until 2002. Does yours look like this?

I wonder if somehow your lap belt is different than mine. The problem I have is that those hinges for the folding seat are in the way, plus the lap belt stalk is too long, I can twist it twice but it's not short enough, and if I twist a third time it's too twisty and it forces the latchplate sideways. It's super annoying lol I would've loved to have had it there!

Huh. I don't have an oddest with the hinges At.All. Like, I don't think I've ever put much thought into them before, that's how little they factor in. I just checked, and right now I have my RN on 2.5 turns, but that's because I had DD riding in a booster on and off and I didn't want to accidentally unbuckle DS's seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC