What seat is this?

jmwesterman

My best friend's sister just posted this picture to FB. Anyone know what seat this is? I am thinking it has to be expired, but I want to be sure before I say anything. She is a huge "bargain" shopper so I have a feeling she bought the seat at a garage sale.

image-4225143714.jpg

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I think that's a Cosco Touriva OHS. The Touriva was before the Scenera...so probably expired.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I would go with the angle of a private message saying something like: "I'm sure you didn't know this, but they don't make seats like that anymore because they've been proven to be unsafe, with kids breaking their faces against the shield. Can I help you find a good sale on a different seat that would keep your daughter safe in the car?"

thekatie

Wow, flashback! I don't know the model name, but that is the Cosco my oldest had in his father's car (8+ years ago). I always hated that seat. So did DS.

Phineasmama

Yeah, definitely PM her. And maybe link her to one of the cute, flowery Sceneras at Wal Mart and say look how pretty and cheap this seat is!!!

CelestinoZ

I don't know for sure what brand of car seat that is, but I know it has expired. They haven't made car seats like in at least 10 years, besides with the safety issue it shouldn't be used anyway. I remember being put in a carseat like that when I was a toddler (about 23 years ago).

christineka

That particular seat, however appears to be the cosco touriva, which was last made (with the OHS) in 2005, so it is definitely expired.

The last made ohs seats were the scenera, enspira, titan, and tribute. They were in production until around 2008-2009.

jmwesterman

Thanks everyone. I will def message her. I know these types of seats aren't seen much anymore, but I wanted to be sure there was no chance it wasn't expired before I say something.

jmwesterman

Talked to my friend and she was super receptive. She had no idea about car seat expirations nor the dangers of buying used seats (she did pick this one up at a garage sale). She is running out to buy a new seat right now yay!

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Plus I believe that seat has only 3 harness slots. The bottom 2 are for RF only and the top MUST be used for FF. Glad she's buying a new seat. Will she let you help install it?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
So glad she listened! Do you mind sharing how you phrased your note? It's so hard to come up with wording that gets the point across without sounding judgmental and making people defensive. It's good to hear what you said worked!

jmwesterman

Unfortunately she lives 10 hours away so I won't be able to help her install it. I also mentioned that at 14 months old her daughter would be safer rear facing. She wasn't opposed to it so I'm crossing my fingers she will rear face her too. All I said was : I saw the super cute pic of your daughter the other day on FB! I hope I don't offend you, but I couldn't help but notice the car seat she is in. I know many people are not aware that most car seats have a 6 year expiration. The seat she is in was last manufactured in 2005 so even if it was manufactured in 2005 it expired last year. I then asked if she had ever seen a crash test video of an expired seat and how terrifying the results are and she said said "OMG I had no idea! I found it at a garage sale and thought it was a good deal." I explained to her the dangers of a used car seat as well. I offered to help her make a decision on a new seat that would fit her budget if she wanted help. She said she would let me know if she had questions. At the end of the convo I told her I debated saying anything, but I would never forgive myself if something bad happened. She was truly thankful I said something. I feel so much better! It also helps we have known each other for 20 years. Her older sister and I have been best friends since we were 8.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Very good. :) It would be a bonus if she'd put her in RF, but I'd be relatively happy just seeing her in a safe seat that meets current safety standards.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC