Question What is the safest positioning for the hands of a driver on the wheel?

CRS

Senior Community Member
I was always told 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. But have been reading a little info that suggests 9 and 3 is better if in the event of airbag deployment and your arms/hands wont be thrown up in to your face.

ADS

mommy2env

Actually, I think it was more like 5 and 7? I never do it.

I think it was Natysr who was in a wreck and ended up with burns from the airbag. She mentioned she keeps her hands as low as possible to avoid that (knock on wood) in the event of a crash.

I hope she chimes in. :eek:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The wrist draped over the steering wheel, at directly 12 o'clock. Of course, this only works if you have your seat leaned way back, and are sitting kinds sideways in the seat. That way, you look cool at all times.

Or so my neighbor thinks. He's straight up gangsta.

CRS

Senior Community Member
Actually, I think it was more like 5 and 7? I never do it.

Now THAT I heard is dangerous, I can't possibly imagine that people can confidently and correctly take hold of the steering wheel to avoid an accident if they had their hands at 5 and 7 - eek! that's way low!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Are you guys sure? I thought it was the right hand holding the cell phone up to your ear, and the left hand holding your coffee and your cigarette, with the pinkie steering... ;)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Are you guys sure? I thought it was the right hand holding the cell phone up to your ear, and the left hand holding your coffee and your cigarette, with the pinkie steering... ;)

Nah, that's what knees are for! Or, better yet, teach your 2 year old to steer. She does a great job, and now she can even see over the steering wheel! :thumbsup:

natysr

I think it was Natysr who was in a wreck and ended up with burns from the airbag. She mentioned she keeps her hands as low as possible to avoid that (knock on wood) in the event of a crash.

I hope she chimes in. :eek:

:happy-wavehello: You remembered me! :love:

Yes, I try to keep my hands as low as possible. In reality, I do move my hands around on the stearing wheel, depending on what type of driving I'm doing. Like if I'm turning ect., then I do need to move my hands up in order to really have control in my turns.

But, when on the freeway/highway etc. I try to keep them at 5 and 7. At least not above 3 and 9.

I did get some really bad burns from my airbags. Both hands and wrists, around and between fingers etc. Granted, I am lucky to be alive, but the burns were really not fun. They were difficult to bandage. Difficult to do anything, let alone use crutches because of 2 broken feet. And, some of them got infected too. I still have some scarring in places, and the accident was 23 months ago.

Honestly, I don't even know if it would matter if I keep my hands low. Maybe I would get burns anyway. I just don't know. All I know is that I got them when I had my hands higher, so now I'm trying something different.

lovinwaves

I recently took a course on airbag safety where Dave Long(The Airbag Detective) was the instructor. His recommendations are 9:00 & 3:00 or 8:00 & 4:00 (where the grip holds are) and not 10:00 & 2:00.

beeman

I was taught 3 and 9 or 10 and 2 in drivers ed, and was discouraged from the "praying mantis" technique. Thats the range where you are offered best control of the vehicle, and your arms will be thrown away from you, rather than into you. From what I understand, you are at risk for burns no matter where your hands are on the wheel (it is gunpowder in there after all), and that it is best to keep you hands and arms where they won't come back and hit you. 5 and 7 is the latest suggestion for the place where you are at least risk, however you still need to be comfortable controlling the vehicle from this position.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
The wrist draped over the steering wheel, at directly 12 o'clock. Of course, this only works if you have your seat leaned way back, and are sitting kinds sideways in the seat. That way, you look cool at all times.

Or so my neighbor thinks. He's straight up gangsta.

You mean I am not supposed to be pimping it like that. DANG! I guess I better raise my seat back upright and drive like an old grandma now. LOL!!! ;)

CRS

Senior Community Member
I made a conscious effort to see where I held the steering wheel today. I thought I was holding it at 10 and 2 but nope - 9 and 3!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Phew, glad I read this! I've been holding it more like 9 and 3 and my mother scolded me they should be 10 and 2...Now I'd better have a chat with her, lol.

aisraeltax

i was always taught 9 and 3 also. i try to keep both hands on the wheel but find it so difficult sometimes (and i dont have to use my cellphone w/ one hand..my wrists just start to get sore).

flipper68

Senior Community Member
A friend with kids in drivers' ed said they're being taught 8 & 4.

I learned 10 & 2 as well.

But if you do that, you can't wave to all the farmers. :eek: DANG! (

For you city dwellers, the "wave" is a friendly gesture - subtle raising of 1st finger/1st 2 fingers from the 12 o'clock position as you meet an on coming vehicle. . . Not THAT finger.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC