What do you do with an expired carseat?

Amartin100503

I was dropping my daughter off at my mom's house this morning and as I was leaving noticed a Britax carseat sitting on the ground with someones trash for Trash Day.

I backed up and was about to get out when the home owner came out to add to their trash. I asked if they were getting rid of the seat and he said yes. I asked if I could have it and he said SURE, although he was a bit puzzled.

Upon further examination it has a DOM of 01/06/2004. No big deal. I hadn't intended to use it. I was going to trade it in to BRU the next time around. The padding is gross, the cover is filthy and the elastic is SHOT! It's a Roundabout 40 in a beige velvety type material.

So what should I do with it? What would you do with it?

Last edited:
ADS

rxmommy

One I cut the straps on and put it in the garbage. One is still in the rafters of my garage. :rolleyes: One I found a carseat check that recycles them and they gave me a $5 giftcard for turning it in! Woot!!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I recycle mine. I have recycling probably over 250 by now. Before that was available, I put them deep in my garbage can.

Keeyamah

I mentioned to my DH that in 2015 both seats we currently own for our son will expire and I'll want to do something to them so they can't be reused. I mentioned him using his power tools on them to make them impossible to re-install. His suggestion was the shooting range.......

jacqui276

I destroy them and trash them.

I never seem to catch a BRU trade in (do we still do them in Canada??) so stopped hoarding my old seats.

mrosehughes

Judi said:
I recycle mine. I have recycling probably over 250 by now. Before that was available, I put them deep in my garbage can.

How do you recycle them? Can boosters be recycled? Does the BRU trade in recycle them?

(Sorry to hijack a bit, OP)

rachelandtyke

Our SR22 and Blvd have expired, so I'm holding onto them for the BRU trade in. Although the seat cover I really want has been discontinued, so haven't decided what I might do yet. (Plus I don't really NEED another seat since I have 2 TFs waiting in the wings now that DD is boostered full time.)

SammyStamper

Thanks for posting this as a well meaning coworker gave me a Britax Roundabout for my baby arriving next month. Well...she then says her kids starting using them at 4 months and they are 7 in September! I don't even need to find the DOM to know it is expired. GRR!!

My husband is not amused with having to disgard this huge car seat. I'll have to see if a BRU event is coming up!

geekKT

Uh, I let the one I have sit in the basement for 2 years waiting to catch a BRU trade in at the right time. (We better have them up here, or I'll guess I'll give it to a US relative to trade in, it was free to me anyway)

My 2 year old occasionally sits in it or tries to put a cat in it.

thtr4me

We have an almost expired seat sitting in the living room right now. Baby likes to practice climbing in and out. Not sure what to do with it. Thinking about maybe stripping it eventually and selling the cover.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC