What about this tethering spot?

U

Unregistered

We recently bought a Montana minivan and I am having a hard time finding a tethering spot in the middle row. Here is one option.
Dscn1782.jpg

The only other option is to tether to the seat it is in, which I know is not recommended anymore. Anyone else have a Montana and do you rearface tether?

I have thought about moving DS2 to the backrow, but that is kind of a pain especially with school starting soon. We will be in and out of the car more. Also, I will be out with just the babies more often.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If you can't find anywhere else the seatbelt stalk is fine, as long as it doesn't interfere with the front seat passenger using the seatbelt. It's certainly grounded to the vehicle.

Wendy

canadianmom2three

I drive a 2003 montana, but don't actually use the tether for rf, ds is 5 years old, but I was playing around with the Radian and seeing how nice it installed rf (much easier than ff thats for sure) I looked all over for a good rf tether pt for the middle row too, there is just nothing at all under the seats to work with - all too wide to get the dring around - that is a FANTASTIC idea!!! :love:

I'm pretty sure I took some pics under the seat at the time, cause I as sooo cross that there was nothing, I'll post them if I find them

Last edited:

canadianmom2three

Three views of under the passenger seat - first is right side, 2nd left side, last is straight on view. Also threw in the pic of the radian rf beside ff

IMGP2089.jpg

IMGP2088.jpg

IMGP2090.jpg

IMGP2091-1.jpg

Auntie2Avi

I have a 97 Montana and i was not able to find a tether spot under the passenger seat, but i will go look tomorrow and see if i could find one. I did see a good bar around the drivers side, but i am thinking that you have your seats arranged like that for a reason.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
hmm im not sure I would be comfortable with that d-clip install :scratcheshead:

The seatbelt stalk is an acceptable location, though I don't like to use it unless as a last resort.

To the OP, if you could get the stalk lower down, that might be a little better, but where you have it is perfectly acceptable if you can't find anywhere else. Just make sure it's not going to slip off in a collision. The tether isn't necessary, but that could hit the front seat passenger if it did.

Wendy

ajay

I drive a '01 Montana and there's NOTHING to tether to! (one of the many things that drives me crazy about this van) I'd never thought of the seatbelt..... I think I'm going to go do that. Thanks!

santecno

C&P from a member who is having trouble posting:

I have been able to tether to the all of the front seat seat legs in
my 2003 Venture. Since the GM vans are pretty much the same; I think
this should work with them all. Btw, I was not happy with using the
seat belt stalks.

You know how the front seats have that solid side panel that fills in
the space from front leg to back leg and bottom of the seat to the
floor? It looks impossible to get to any no-moving anything that is
bolted to the frame of the vehicle. But there is a trick.

1. If you push down on the carpet in the middle of the panel, you'll
create enough space to feed the connector strap trough.

2. Reach under the seat and grab the strap's end. Pull the strap to
the leg you want to wrap it around.

3. There will be just enough strap to loop it through.

oxeye

In this picture - http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t120/canadianmom2three/IMGP2089.jpg?t=1185679968

Can you just hook it on to the closest hole in that grating looking stuff?? You don't have to use the D-ring if there is a hole you can hook onto instead.

You might not be able to move the seat once you do that but I'd be more comfortable with that than tethering to the seatbelt stalk like in the first pic.

Just an idea - not sure whether the hole is big enough, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC