We need a new growth chart

brooklynsmommy

For torsos. Seriously. It would be so nice to see when a child might outgrow a certain seat. By looking at their curve. How would we gather info for something like this though?

ADS

Syllieann

everybody could add their stats to the thread and it could be compiled in google excel sheet w/ a graph I guess. I also found this study, which is a little old and has a fairly small sample number, but it's the best I know of right now.

KaiLing

That would be totally useful. But I must not be the only person with a child who won't sit for torso measurement. Kid just hates it.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I feel like torsos just differ so much that it would be difficult to get accurate data.

java

I think it would be great to get an 'average' I agree it differs a ton, just like weight and height. But there has to be some common ground out there. I have no idea if DD is about normal for her age or is she is considered all torso, all legs, ect. I would love to know.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think it would be great to get an 'average' I agree it differs a ton, just like weight and height. But there has to be some common ground out there. I have no idea if DD is about normal for her age or is she is considered all torso, all legs, ect. I would love to know.

Clothing sizes help a lot with that (and are something I ask about when giving advice on shopping over the phone, etc.) If she tends to outgrow tops and bottoms in the same size and brand at just about the same time (i.e., moves from size 18 months shirts and 18 month pants to 24 month shirts and 24 month pants, at the same time without one being too big or too small longer), she probably has about average proportions for her size. If she tends to need a size up in pants because they are too short well before shirts in the same brand (especially short sleeved shirts ;) ) she probably has longer legs proportionally than torso. If she tends to have lots of tummy gapping and need a size up in shirts well before pants are outgrown by length, she probably has a longer torso proportionally. (Of course, a very chubby or very skinny kid can confound those rules sometimes, but in many cases, it helps in figuring out how they are built in comparison to the average!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC