Washing a Frontier 85 cover.

agave

My Liva cover desperately needs a bath. The manual says not to machine wash, has any one had any luck washing it on gentle? I have a 12 yr old front loader, so I don't have an agitator but I don't have many cycle options either.

My radian covers are also ready for a wash, the manual also says not to machine wash. Please tell me they will be ok.

To see why it needs to be washed see here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=218553

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I machine washed our Radian cover in a front loader on a hand wash cycle and then air dried it. I had no issues. I have not had issues washing any of my covers in this manner but YMMV.

honeydew

Well, I machine washed the radian cover you got from me so I assume it's ok! :eek: I just figured they were all ok to wash in cold on the gentle cycle. I use a front loader, so no agitator and all my covers have come out fine!

lovemy2kidstw

I machine washed my Livia FR85 on gentle. I put it in the dryer for a couple of minutes so it wasn't dripping wet & then laid it to dry. With my washer, it really isn't that different than me hand washing the cover.

bethng

I am bad. I machine washed the cover (2x now) in our front loader on a regular cycle with other clothing. Then put it in the dryer. I tried to take it out after about 15 minutes. The first time I was successful....second time..not so much. But it seems to have held up just fine despite my not following the directions.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I quite frequently wash "hand wash only" covers by hand- but then put in the machine on a gentle spin cycle, to spin out the water more thoroughly than I can by hand, so they take less time to air dry. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It depends on the cover and how wet it is. When I DON'T spin it out, it can take more than 24 hours even when it's quite dry air. When I DO it's usually done within 8 hours or so (accounting for turning it different ways to make sure all the different pockets and corners dry.)

Athena

Maybe I'm bad, but I don't hand wash anything. Unless it's just spot cleaning, I have machine washed all my Britax covers over the years and they've come through just fine. I don't wash them often, but when I do, it's in the machine and that includes when I had to use a top loader. Although I think that's a bit riskier, I don't hesitate to put it in my front loader.

So far, I've only washed one Frontier 85 cover once. Washed in my front loader, gave it a good spin, and it dried in a few hours (luckily because I needed it back in asap).

I should mention it was the cowmoo cover and so far all our Britax seats have been that type of fabric. We just got a livia, so I'm hoping the same is true for it.

EDIT: I should add that I always air dry the covers and I always wash on cold.

Athena

To see why it needs to be washed see here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=218553

I just saw this thread. :eek::eek::eek: She owes you a new seat ... and a better role model for her grandkids. I hope she isn't ever smoking around the kids. That is so bad. I cannot believe anyone still does it.

Okay, now that I've calmed down. :eek: I see that you might not have a hand wash cycle on your machine and this cover needs a really good washing if there's any chance it will come clean. I'm fairly sure I washed on something more rigorous than hand wash and I definitely used a high spin. I cannot guarantee it will work for you, but given it is unusable as is, personally I would risk it and give it a serious washing. If you wash it too gently, it's unusable anyway, right, so what's the risk? But that's just what I would do. You do what you feel comfortable with. Good luck! I hope it all works out.

NannyMom

All of my carseat covers get washed on the delicate cycle of our top loader and air dried. If there's alot of stuff I want the lint catcher to get I'll air dry it in the drier for 10 mins and the. Hang to dry. The only problem I've had so far is the TF covers take forever to dry and the airbag warning label comes off some after a few washes.

agave

I just saw this thread. :eek::eek::eek: She owes you a new seat ... and a better role model for her grandkids. I hope she isn't ever smoking around the kids. That is so bad. I cannot believe anyone still does it.

OK I do have a delicate/hand wash cycle. I'll address your other comments on the other thread.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC