Waiting for a call back from Dorel.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Good cs.

auto-correct on the loose..

From Dorel, that is PHENOMENAL CS. I'm actually even more mad now that they wouldn't replace mine when mine actually affected the safety of the child in the seat.

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
It probably depends on who you talk to. :( I am very pleased with the customer service I got this time, and I'm sad you didn't get the same results.

Of course when I emailed about the recline issue and the 53° I was basically told that wherever the line put the seat, that's where it was tested and it was the right way to use it. :rolleyes: So I definitely had better luck with calling rather than emailing. I dunno whether it was random luck or if it makes a difference.

Pixels

Of course when I emailed about the recline issue and the 53° I was basically told that wherever the line put the seat, that's where it was tested and it was the right way to use it. :rolleyes:

This is absolutely true. I don't know why you're rolling your eyes. Seats are tested according to manufacturer's instructions. If someone designed a RFing seat that laid completely flat, and that's how it's supposed to be, then that's how it gets tested. It was tested with the line level to the ground and it passed. According to Dorel, it performed better at that angle than at any other angle, which is why they have required that angle.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
According to Dorel, it performed better at that angle than at any other angle, which is why they have required that angle.

I'm curious to know when/where they said this. The closest I heard them say was in the Webinar when they said that it passed crash tests at various angles but that there were "problems" when it was more upright. Based on the fact that they are changing the instructions for children over 22 lbs and sitting unassisted, I have to presume that the problems they spoke of only applied to younger/smaller infants.

And I never said it wasn't true that it passed crash tests at that angle. I :rolleyes: because it's not reasonable to produce and sell a car seat that cannot be properly installed without compromising the safety of another passenger (such as putting the front seat up within inches of the airbag). I challenge anybody to actually install a Complete Air with that line level in any vehicle and have it fit, not touch the seat in front of it, and still be able to keep the passenger in the front seat safe (forget comfortable). The safety of the child in the seat should not be the only consideration when bringing a product to market.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
They said it repeatedly, I believe in the webinar and also on FB.
:yeahthat:
They said it to me on the phone when I called as well. Huge reason I don't feel comfortable using the seat at a different angle, but I seem to be alone in that.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Ok, well I interpreted their wording differently. I never heard them say anything like "In crash tests, it did not perform as well more upright" or "The crash test data showed this to be the optimal angle for safety." I've read the same things and heard the same things you all have, but what I heard was that it passed crash tests more upright, with no mention of comparative crash test data, but that there were "other problems" that occurred when the seat was more upright. I never heard any hint that these problems had anything to do with crash test performance.

I know this is a controversial issue and I know not everyone here agrees with me. It's funny... I posted before about the strap covers digging into DD's neck, and a bunch of people jumped on me for not calling Dorel and asking them to fix the problem. I finally call Dorel and ask them to fix the problem, and a different set of people jump on me and act like I'm being unreasonable for asking them to replace the seat with one that doesn't have this issue. Seems like I can't win. But I have a new seat on the way so I'm happy.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Just for the record, I took verbatim notes during that portion of the Dorel Webinar and this is what was said regarding the level to ground lines and RF angles:

"concerned about too upright"
"could create different problems"
"need to control that"

ETA: of course they also said stick to the level line and they're addressing this issue. But when they were pressed for more info - what they said is what I quoted above.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Wait a minute- now the CA should be installed at 53*? I missed that.

The "LEVEL LINE" on some of the Dorel seats shows to be at an angle greater than 45*, some as much as 6-8* more reclined. As measured by techs, engineers etc. They were most def NOT at 45*. Dorel states follow the level line. Kac had it level, and it was like a car bed!!!! It was BAD

So that is why people are saying they are telling you to use at 53*, not that it is written rule, just what it happens to be by the line. What if that sticker is put on crooked that day? KWIM?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Well, the sticker on mine IS crooked, but I was following the molded plastic line in the shell of the car seat. Mine measures 53 degrees. It will actually install at 45 degrees in my Suburban and I don't think I'm putting the front seat passenger in TOO much danger... it's not a good fit, but it sorta fits. At 53 degrees, it can't be done. If I recall, it still touched the front seat with the front seat moved ALL the way up and leaned forward.

I wouldn't be nearly as ticked if the line put the seat at 45 degrees. I am not sure I trust the Dorel engineers to know better than all conventional wisdom stating that a seat reclined greater than 45 degrees is safe.

I'm really curious to know whether the new seat they send me sets the angle at 45 degrees. I'll frankly be almost thrilled if it does.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
:hitselfonhead:

My replacement Complete Air arrive today.

DOM is January 2011. The one I sent back was made in May 2011. Of course the January one has the same stupid strap covers on it as the one I sent back.

The box is also trashed and absolutely covered in box tape.

It's too late to call tonight, obviously. I sent them an email.

:dizzy:

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I know, huh?

Now I have this GIANT box sitting by my front door partially blocking my way into the house and being an eyesore with all the box tape all over it.

It just kinda ticks me off that they obviously took some forgotten customer return (albeit apparently unused) from the back of the warehouse, covered it with tape in the hopes that it would survive shipping, and sent it off.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Well, we're going to try again. I got an email reply yesterday but my spam filter ate it. I'm glad I checked my junk folder before calling them back again. :) There's another seat on the way and they're sending yet another pre-paid fed ex label to send the wrong one back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC