vintage car seat hate!

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I think that people tend to bad mouth old seats as a way of cementing the idea that expired seats are no longer safe. I recently sold a seat on Craigslist and nearly every one of the other seats that I saw listed on there were expired. Even when the seller knew and advertised the age of the seat, they still also described them as being "in great condition" and "perfectly good." I think if we romanticize old seats, then people have a tendency to ignore expiration and just keep using favorite old seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katymyers

No hate here either. My old Infant Love Seat was considered one of the safest car seats available for many, many years. My Century T-Shield wasn't bad either. I do think my shield booster was probably a death trap but considering my parents car had lap belts only, what other options were there? I would love to start collecting 80s and 90s car seats, even though my husband would probably have a cow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rachelandtyke

I think old car seats are neat (as long as they aren't in use!). It's like vintage cars. It's interesting to see what things they have changed and have stayed the same over the years as technology and cars (and traffic) have changed.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
There were a few that aren't exactly vintage but were impossible to use right, so yeah, some late-90's stuff was just literally hateful (Breverra... impossible to install, rear adjust, ick).
Super vintage stuff I give a pass to, since there weren't even crash tests till 1981, and I've even run into some early 90's stuff that installed like a dream (Fisher Price T-Shield! LOVE!)

DogznKatz

Over the years we ranted about seats that had great features and awful features. Now we have more usable seats with front adjust, high harness slots, higher weight limits, more lock offs, load legs, anti rebound bars and so much more! Many new seats have a longer lives and are more affordable! Could get there without those vintage seats!

Yes, some seats were cringe-worthy (Breverra, Port a Bout), but all the innovations over the past 20+ years have been amazing!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, I think you're complaining to the wrong people ;)

I don't see "hate" for old seats. More like...the kind of surprise that comes with reflecting on things over time. Kind of like special effects from the 1950s movies. They look lame and cheesy by today's standards, but we can still appreciate that they were cutting-edge and impressive at the time.

There's also an almost inherent superiority that people feel when looking at the past. Often misplaced, but not unique to car seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC