Via infant seat

koda&phiasmama

I can't find much info or photos of this seat in use just want to know what the general opinion of it is and possibly see some photos of newborns/infants in the seat. Thanks !

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I :love:, :love:, :love: my Via!
(I have an older Via, so it doesn't have the lockoffs or the new "fancier" features.)

It doesn't fit in as many strollers as most seats do, and I am required to use the base with it, but neither of those "issues" upsets me in the least.

• Its handle rocks. it is very comfortable to carry.
  • It fits TEENY babies just as well as it fits gigantic babies
  • It is SUPER easy to adjust the harness
  • The base is SUPER easy to install in every vehicle in which I have ever installed it.
  • The canopy isn't too bad. It snaps to the back of the seat, and can be unsnapped and moved around to block the sun.
  • The upholstery wipes clean very easily
  • The harness adjuster is smooth as silk
  • The seat really isn't THAT heavy, or at least it doesn't feel like it is!

Some photos that show its canopy unsnapped and where it snaps, the base, the harness adjustment, its handle, how it fits in a Snap N Go, etc:

I do have photos of my DN and some friends' babies and young toddlers in this seat, but I can't post them without permission, so I'll post photos of a doll in the seat. One is the size of a typical two-three-month-old (but doesn't bend down into the seat as well as a baby does), and the other is the size of a tiny newborn/preemie (about an average 4-pounder, probably):

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
There are a few members on here who I know have/had the Via, but it isn't the most popular of seats, so please don't be disappointed if you only get a few photos with infants in the seat (the pictures Jennie posted in her review plus a few more that other members might post).

koda&phiasmama

There are a few members on here who I know have/had the Via, but it isn't the most popular of seats, so please don't be disappointed if you only get a few photos with infants in the seat (the pictures Jennie posted in her review plus a few more that other members might post).

Yeah I figured that its no big deal ! Your photos were great ! I want to give it try it seems great but it isn't exactly on the cheaper side so wanted to make sure it's at least liked.

SnoGurl

I love my Via! Dni still rides in it occasionally at 2y3m. Unfortunatly, I don't have any infant pics of her in it as I bought it for her when she was around 17 months. The handle is definitly awesome on it, I am small but carried her around in it through the past winter. I find the base to be super easy to install and haven't had any issues installing it in various vehicles. Love this seat!

geekKT

Let me see what I can dig up.... this is all I've got. Apologies for huge!

IMGP4891.jpg

This was taken at 2 weeks and a few days old. (didn't have it at birth) Chest clip is a tad high, I pulled it down before bundling her with blankets.

The base is a dream, IMO. I loved that thing. Harness was smooth and the adjustment is super super easy. The carseat is kind of large and heavy, but aren't they all? The fabric isn't particularly soft but it handled spit up pretty well. For an infant seat, I liked it, but I'm not an infant seat person and I ditched it maybe 2 months later, or I'd take a current pic. I got it at an amazing deal, used it a few months, and was ready to be moving to the TFP.

I have the Canadian version, and my biggest pet peeve with it was probably that I had a hard time reaching and squeezing both levers while it was installed in the car to move the handle to the anti-rebound position. I'm not sure whether that's necessary in the US or on current models or not. It might have just been the general angle in my van combined with my height that made it annoying.

ETA: I can't really remember, but I'm guessing DD was around birth weight of 7lbs 5oz or a bit more in this photo.
ETA2 because my brain is slow tonight: I tried for fun but could not do a baseless install in my van, my seatbelts weren't long enough and I didn't want to bother with a locking clip. The lockoffs on the seat itself are STIFF, too.

jacqui276

Some of the things that I loved about the via were: easy to adjust super smooth pull harness, no rethread harness, the shape of the handle made it great for carrying on your forearm with a heavier baby, very easy to install base with latch that adjusted on both sides or lock offs for the seat belt (had no installation issues in any car that I tried it in), fits a tall baby well, anti-rebound (I had no issues like the PP did with pushing the buttons on the handle to change positions when in the car but did have it installed in a smaller car so didn't have far to reach), the buckles are really easy to do up/undo, I like the fabric (I had the sticks n' stones cover) and it wipes up well, the canopy unsnaps to adjust to block the sun, the angle indicators on both sides, how the lock offs/latch storage clips and stuff are all colourful and easy to find, narrow base and worked well for some 3 across scenarios that I did.

Some things that I didn't love about the seat were: the canopy is fairly small so to fully block the sun it would often involve unsnapping and adjusting, it is pretty heavy but the shape of the handle makes it easier to carry than other infant seats despite its weight, occasionally it would get a bit stuck when trying to pop it out of the stroller (I had the wisp stroller) but would release if I held by DS's feet and pulled up there while pulling on the release on the back of the seat, the velcro that held down the cover over where the harness adjuster is would sometimes snag DS's socks when he would kick his feet, the baseless seat belt install was annoying and the lock offs were hard to open/close, the ball angle indicators on the sides would roll and make a lot of noise if you were to rock a sleeping baby in the car seat.

Here are some photos of DS in the Via:

This is the day we got it at 2 months old (replaced our first infant seat that was crashed). I also realized after taking the initial photos of him in the seat that he was already too heavy for the infant insert so promptly removed that.
c8128bf1-66f5-4756-9b05-d094ff6f6d48_zpsb85fd091.jpg

We used it until he was about 6 months old and still fit within the limits but was way to heavy to carry in it (about 24lbs..yes he was a giant) so I switched to a convertible. Here are a few random pictures of him riding in it from 2 to 6 months old:

6f1bbbaf-8289-40d6-973d-29221ea367d8_zps6ceb5c68.jpg

sleep5_zps6379587a.jpg

cd11fd64-8adb-4233-b3d5-f2940dca2b17_zps54147d0b.jpg

wisp7.jpg

3 across in a Mazda Protege with a Radian and Turbobooster:
07791d7b-fefe-4885-bf87-ebb38cabd7a4_zps09608bbd.jpg

koda&phiasmama

Thank you all so much ! We are really considering this seat ! The pictures were great ! Can someone tell me what the green fabric is called ? I can't seem to find that as a choice though.

koda&phiasmama

Abstract O's has been discontinued, so if you are able to find it, it will probably be fairly old. It seems to be out of stock/unavailable just about everywhere.

Although, Target is still showing it in stock. http://www.target.com/p/the-first-years-via-i470-infant-car-seat/-/A-14222066

Ahh I see so other than the DOM being old is there a difference in models out there some of them are listed as the 1470 others just say via infant seat ? I might go with the Minnie Mouse but can't tell if it has any other differences from the others ?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC