Vent Venting

firemomof3

I got the same looks when I was wearing my ds in Florida, he had just turned 3y/o and I borrowed a toddler patapum from a wonderful member :) I get some stupid remarks also on facebook with car seat pics but I just delete them. We all feel your frustrations :)

ADS

katymyers

I've never understood the leash crap, people give me dirty looks and tell me I'm a lazy parent because I've got my kiddo on a leash. Excuse me but I've got three kids all under the age of three the only way I can get them all safely across a parking lot is with my youngest in a sling and my boys on leashes. My MIL is the worst she constantly gives me crap about the rear facing car seats, tells me I'm spoiling Ella by wearing her all the time, and how she feels so bad for Levi and Hunter being 'tied up'.

scariestone

I realize I'm not "normal" but I wore DS until he was 3 and 1/2 and only stopped because he became too heavy(45ish lbs). He only doesn't ride in a stroller because he doesn't fit in one. we bought a collapsible wagon that we keep in the trunk for days when we do a lot of walking and he gets tired out(not to mention hauling our crap). I still consider a 21 month old a "baby". They're not a child yet.

There are places which I flat-out refuse to take a kiddo without a harness/leash. A kid on a leash looks a lot better than a kid in hospital from getting hit by a car, or lost...

I've gotten a few funny looks from other parents when I load up a 2.5 yo into a RF seat, and not long ago at all I was loading up a 5 yo into a RF seat, the looks I got from doing that where hilarious! I look at the stress level of other parents while they're out and about with kiddos that aren't under control and it looks like they just can't wait to get home, whereas I find when the kids and I are comfortable and relaxed with safety under control they get the chance to explore and we really enjoy our outings a lot more. I think we all just value our sanity on here!

Kayden - 2.5 RF BLVD 65 & RF Truefit Layla- 6 FF BLVD 65 CS & HBTB

cmcki737

Did anyone see modern family last night? They had their toddler on a leash and everyone was giving them looks so they took her off and she immediately ran! Unfortunately the show was not supportive of the harness in the end they had the child put high heels on so she could not run as a better option then the leash :-/

CrazyBoysMamma

Here's my 1 1/2 yr old... being carried by my 7yo :D.

310072_259263294160923_100002317632823_566742_1689225406_n.jpg

OMG, how cute is that?!? And, um, my 3 year old is RF, and he just asked me for a new sling to be worn in because e's too heavy for our current one. He fel asleep happily in it the other night. :love:

ks227

We took DD to the aquarium during the week between Christmas and New Year's. I wore her in the Boba to get through the parking lot and wore her when she wanted to be worn, but we brough the "leash" (one of those animal backpack styles) with us in case she wanted more freedom inside the building. It was so packed that I didn't want to lose her. She was unsure of it and held my hand most of the time she was wearing the backpack.

I had some snotty yuppie nearby with a newborn in an Ergo LOUDLY say to her husband that she would never put their precious child on a leash "like a dog". She looked very pointedly at us when she said it and it was clearly intended for us to hear. :rolleyes: Lady, do you not see the Boba clipped around my waist? And let's see how you feel about the utility of a leash when that sleeping newborn becomes a running toddler...

mykidsmom10

:eek: It always amazes me how judgmental people can be, specifically of parents. So frustrating! If you aren't hurting your kids, & they're safe, loved, & cared for...what else matters?

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
I'm sorry you have "friend" like that. I would un-friend her or at least block her so you don't have to deal with her ignorance.
Last spring in NYC my husband wore my then 3 year old. We've both been wearing her since she was born and she is the most independent child you'll ever meet!
I've been told I'm being over-protective and obsessive for having DD RFing still. Um, since when is protecting your child a bad thing??

cookie123

I don't get the over protective view either. Doing what you can to keep them from getting hurt is just common sense.

The leash. Well, I had one for DD#1 way back when after she escaped on me and went up an escalator when she was 2. Really, in my opinion, dogs walk better than kids on a leash. I'd rather just keep them in the stroller when out and about when it's possible. Some times that's just not a feasible option.

lourdes

Ahhh the over protective parent...... Of course I am an over protective parent!!!!! That's my job!
I love my daughter enough to protect and over protect her!!!! People need to start looking to the neglecting parents that don't care enough to use a car seat or the seat belt. You know how many parents I have seen in the stores that are looking at a magazine with the kids running around way far away from them....

luckyclov

My 4.5-year-old was on a kid leash the other day.
It's a child safety tether. Don't judge. And the fix to kids running away on you in public places is uncomfortable shoes, like stilettos.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who watches Modern Family.:eek:

Citrine

I watch Modern Family the next day on DVR, that show is halirous! I was wondering if anyone on here was going to comment on the child leash on the show. I have never used one because I have never had the need to. If I needed to use a kid leash, i would not hesitate to, I do not want to lose my child or go to the hospital bc I was not watching my child as good as i should have.

thtr4me

Love that there are so many here that truly appreciate that a child leash is sometimes appropriate! It is all about safety. And whatever it takes to make my parenting life easier, so I am a happier, more connected, more effective parent.

I last wore my oldest when he was 5yo (he is 6yo now). And DH wore him last year at the Miramar Air Show, when he was exhausted from a long and exciting day, and was never going to make it back to the car. So much easier than trying to carry a 40lbs child in arms, through huge crowds of people, while carrying all of our gear from the day.

Brianna

I just see a toddler leash as an alternative to a stroller that allows the child to walk. Oh I wish I had a toddler leash at the airport!

mamakc

You just can't win these days. If your child is in a leash, people think "if you can't control him use a stroller! He isn't a DOG." (Despite the fact that with my ds he spends 90% of the day pretending to be a dog.) But if you put a 3-4-5 year old in a stroller you get, "what is he, 4?! He has legs you know! make him walk."

People ought to mind their own business and not worry about non damaging things so much lol

-Krista
DD~5~Monterey & Dreamtime
DS~3~Complete Air 65 LX & Maestro
DN~1~Complete Air LX

Dorothy

mamakc said:
You just can't win these days. If your child is in a leash, people think "if you can't control him use a stroller! He isn't a DOG." (Despite the fact that with my ds he spends 90% of the day pretending to be a dog.) But if you put a 3-4-5 year old in a stroller you get, "what is he, 4?! He has legs you know! make him walk."

People ought to mind their own business and not worry about non damaging things so much lol

-Krista
DD~5~Monterey & Dreamtime
DS~3~Complete Air 65 LX & Maestro
DN~1~Complete Air LX

Yup. Can't win for losing with some people.

Sent from my phone using the app :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC