Vent Venting

HeatherMo745

My daughter is a year and a half and I posted some photos on fb of me wearing her. A certain mom I know who feels I'm too sheltering for rear facing past a year had a bunch to say about how she's too old to be worn and that I treat her like an infant. That made me angry but I told her, as nicely as possible, that she's my kid and I'll do what I think is right. Then to make matters worse later in the day she posts a photo of her little one (maybe a whole 20lbs and about 20months) in a FF carseat and all the slack in the world in the harness. It makes me SO angry that she wants to judge my GOOD parenting style and ignore the fact that she practices unsafe seat use with hers child. I just hope to god that she never gets in a wreck with that poor tiny baby :/

ADS
She clearly doesn't know how convenient wearing an 18 month old can be! Especially when you have other kids. My little guy is 20 months, and when I need 2 free hands, I toss his tiny tushie right in that moby wrap. My 3 1/2 year old still begs to be worn.

HeatherMo745

Gosh I just love coming on here and hearing ALL these women who agree with me! Bless all of you for you keep me sane sometimes! Lol

bnsnyde

My 4.5-year-old was on a kid leash the other day. She demanded to be. And actually, lately safely going through a parking lot is tough. So I didn't mind at all!

She is in this horrible running stage. And she's rear-facing, too.

As for wearing a baby, I have no experience. I tried when they were newborns, and it was really awkward on my back. I gave up, and they were light back then!

cmcki737

Must be "crazy" parents look for others like them bc I baby wear, use a child leash when needed and my kids both ride RF'ing and enjoy riding I rear facing strollers as well and I am very happy for all of these things!

katymyers

I keep telling my husband that I'm not the only nutcase out there :). I love knowing I'm not the only one who cares about this stuff.

megan.amarice

I had some lady giving me the evil eye at Disneyland a few weeks ago when we had our DD on a leash. She's 2.5 and I swear we'd have lost her if we didn't have it. She's become quite the runner lately.

HeatherMo745

Ya, and for the leash haters it's for safety!! Not because the parent is lazy! Those little ones can dart out faster than we can react! I've heard some say "why don't you teach your kid not to run off" hello, whatd do you think that's doing?! Lol luckily hubby agrees with me! He gets the RF but would probably die trying to figure out how to install rear facing lol and he's actually carried our little booger around and knows how much wearing her helps distribute her weight evenly on my body and helps my back! Glad to have his support! Unfortunately he's military and isn't always around for me to blow off the steam, that's where this board comes in! :)

Keeanh

Here's my 1 1/2 yr old... being carried by my 7yo :D.

310072_259263294160923_100002317632823_566742_1689225406_n.jpg

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I've never understood the anti-leash mentality. I love my dog enough to leash it in places where the dog might be in danger off-leash; why should I love my child less?

I wore my 21 month old (in a frame backpack; she's too heavy for me in the Ergo anymore) outside to do chores today... collecting eggs, feeding the dogs, that sort of thing. She loves it. She cried pitifully when I brought her back in and took her off. Just about broke my heart. And it's the reason I don't wear her more; I get tired (she's heavy) and she cries whenever we stop. She climbs on my shoulders every chance she gets...

I just don't get this whole mentality about keeping our kids like "babies." I do NOT treat my daughter like a baby. She gets taken to the potty, she is being taught manners, she is doing every age-appropriate thing. Keeping a child safe and keeping them "babies" have nothing to do with each other. Maybe allowing an older child to use a pacifier or a bottle might be considered babying them... even then I say mind your own business and parent your own kid, not mine... but safety issues are safety issues. Suddenly a kid turns a year old and we're supposed to throw caution to the wind because they're all grown up now?? What???

Little Ps Mama

How to you baby a baby? I don't get it.

Exactly. People are in such a darn hurry for their kids to "grow up" and reach those all-important "milestones." Why? Are they just in such a rush to get them grown up and out the door that they think moving them on to steps they're not ready for yet will help speed up the process? :rolleyes:

krystin_21a

Some people just don't get it. If any kid ( i know they all do) could benefit from rfing it would be my nephew. He was born premature, has a HUGE head, and his parents drive like bats out hell. When my dad (go dad!!!) told her, my sil, that the new recs were to keep them rfing a minimum of two years her response was "yeah right! That is so not gonna happen!". Now, she knows that my two youngest (2 years & 6 months) are rfing and that my oldest was until two years four months, and she could ask for help, but I am the crazy/overbearing/helicopter mom that "she is not going to be". We don't get along very well, lol.

Kat_Momof3

well, then she probably would have had a coronary at me wearing Ruthie (age 2) on my back (especially when she was asleep) in a wrap sling (sometimes two shoulder, sometimes as a one-shoulder rebozo style carry)... and worse if she'd seen me first (this was when I did one shoulder because it was easier to do this way) lift her out of my rear hatch from her convertible carseat, drape the fabric of the wrap over one of her shoulders and between her legs, then toss her over my back (not literally of course) and have Damian put his hands on her back to ensure she didn't move as I tied it snug and then let him stand back so I could spread the fabric out more around her. We did an entire long cart full of stuff walmart trip one day during her nap that way... she woke up when we were checking out and I just shifted her around to my hip... because she was a bit cranky and wanted her cup and I don't like a sippy banging me in the back.

Oh, and Ruthie loved the wrap so much that she would grab it and want to be in it up till she was 6 when she wasn't feeling well. I wore her out and about until she was 5, when she just got too big to be comfortably worn for me. But hey, she was sitting in my lap when she was unwell anyway... so if the snug "blanket like" feeling of being all strapped to me made her feel better, why not? Heck, there were times when she was little that she would be in the stroller and I'd have Jeffrey (3-5yrs during that time) strapped to my back. Another way he expressed his jealousy, really, wanting to do another thing she was doing... and why not? he was still young and small enough for me to do it comfortably...

With the harness/leash... I had someone compare my child to a dog (and I made a comment about yes, because I want to keep my kid safe, too, not just my dog, and that they should worry about no one using seatbelts in their back seat), and yet I had someone else (older GENTLEMAN) tell me how good I was to use one when we were at a busy buffet restaurant because that way she wouldn't dash off and I could get my kids' food and she could walk around as she wanted to. (he apparently had my similar disdain for unsafe kids running helter skelter through the place and yet also keeping a child who wanted to be down walking from doing so within reason.

Now I've definitely seen my share of folks who shouldn't be allowed to use them, but the harness/leash in and of itself is not the problem there.

lourdes

Imagine the looks of people when I was nursing my DD in public when she was almost 3 (she stop right at 3 by her self) people look at me like I was an alien!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC