Vehicle/seat recommendations

T

Taylor

Hello,
We’re looking for a vehicle recommendation (seat recalls welcome too).
We want to buy a used vehicle to keep the cost down.
We have 5 children. 5 years, 4 years, 3 years, 3 years, 18 months.

My 18 month old (21 pounds, 30 inches) is rear facing in a britax one4life and needs to stay in this seat as she has special needs and the recline is perfect for her.
My 3 year old (38 pounds, 37.5 inches) is also rear facing although I’m open to turning him. My boyfriends children are all forward facing. I don’t know their stats- the 5 year old girl wears size 5/6, the 4 year old boy wears 6/7 (he’s a tall & solid kid!) and the 3 year old is roughly 37 inches and I believe 33 pounds.
We plan to have one more baby in the next few years so if the new vehicle could fit all 6 kids, that would be ideal.

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
What is your budget for a vehicle? Comfortably fitting six car-seat aged children in any one vehicle is a tall order, but it can be done. It would help to know what your "ceiling" is.

The new Kia Telluride and its cousin the Hyundai Palisade look very promising for large families, but as these models were just introduced in the 2020 model year, finding a used one isn't going to be easy. On the other hand, their new price is a LOT less than similar large SUVs by other manufactures so depending on your budget that might work out ok.

What is your budget for a vehicle? Comfortably fitting six car-seat aged children in any one vehicle is a tall order, but it can be done. It would help to know what your "ceiling" is.

The new Kia Telluride and its cousin the Hyundai Palisade look very promising for large families, but as these models were just introduced in the 2020 model year, finding a used one isn't going to be easy. On the other hand, their new price is a LOT less than similar large SUVs by other manufactures so depending on your budget that might work out ok.
Probably about $20,000 although we could save a higher down payment and just wait a little longer if necessary.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Since she is rear facing her 38 lb. 3 year old, I think it's safe to say yes, she's probably familiar with the benefits of extended rear facing.

Let me poke around and see what kinds of cars I can find in that price range. :)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
It looks like 2016-2017 Ford Transit Passenger vans are available in your general price range. I think I'd start my search there.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
So 5 kids and 2 adults? I think the most flexible option for you will be a Honda Odyssey. The problem is they command pretty high values even used. The 2011-2017 models have the 2nd row seating system that splits the seats apart in "wide" mode that may be helpful. You should be able to find 2011-2014 models with reasonable mileage under $20K. Here's one in my area:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...elper.selectedEntity=c22353#listing=280033525

Another possibility is a 2017 (or newer) Kia Sedona. In my area, there are a number of 2017-2018 models under $20K. The seating isn't quite as flexible as the Odyssey, so you'd have to check fit of car seats together first of course. Here is an example:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...elper.selectedEntity=c26102#listing=278192527

Adding another child in the future is doable in the 8-passenger versions, but the third row may have to have a booster rider in a narrow booster or two to accommodate this. Otherwise, you'd need to step up to a full-size SUV (Like Expedition EL) or full-size van like the Transit that Brigala mentioned.

Dealers are struggling. If you find one local, ask if they will drop it off at your house for a few hour test drive so you can try your seats in it. I'm sure some will be happy to do this, or just visit where you find a model you like and ask for an extended test drive so you can go back home and try seats without being hurried in a dealer lot.

Last edited:

aporthole

With potential plans for a 6th child, I would hands-down go for a Nissan NV Passenger. You should be able to find some 2012-ish model year ones in your price range. Even if you only had the 5 kids, the extra space would be a nice benefit with all of them being pretty young still.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
With potential plans for a 6th child, I would hands-down go for a Nissan NV Passenger. You should be able to find some 2012-ish model year ones in your price range. Even if you only had the 5 kids, the extra space would be a nice benefit with all of them being pretty young still.

I agree that for 6 children you really want something that has at least 4 rows and can accommodate more than 8. You never know when that 6th kid turns out to be twins or something. NV Passenger, Ford Transit, or a small used preschool bus (which I've seen recently for a large family and worked well because it was equipped with LATCH and seat belts in every position) are all worth considering.

I would avoid the old style "15 passenger" type vans which typically are very top-heavy and not equipped with head restraints and may not have enough flexibility in terms of top tethers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC