Vehicle manuals and top tethering

christineka

I asked for clarification from Britax on how to tether with the versa tether. I was told to do as the vehicle manufacturer directs. If there is no direction from the vehicle manufacturer, then go with the most direct route, which is usually around the headrest.

I checked out my toyota sienna manual. It says to remove the headrest, attach the top tether, and replace the headrest. It shows a picture of the tether going through the headrest bars, but it doesn't say to route the tether that way. I also know from contacting toyota a few times that their instructions are general, not to be followed to the absolute letter. This is good because I have no headrest attached and my versa tether goes around the headrest bar spots.

Sarah gave me an example of a gm manual, which has directions for a single tether and a versa tether.

What do other vehicle manuals say on the matter of top tethering and routing the straps? I'll see if I can locate my honda manual.

ADS

Brianna

From a 2010 Ford F-150 manual

Regular cab:
1. Route the child safety seat tether strap over the back of the seat and
under the head restraint.
For vehicles with adjustable head restraints, route the tether strap under
the head restraint and between the head restraint posts, otherwise route
the tether strap over the top of the seatback.

SuperCab and SuperCrew:
1. Route the tether strap under the
head restraint and through the loop
directly behind the child seat.

There is no mention of single attachment point tethers vs versa tethers.

christineka

Thought I'd add a direct quote.

Routing of the tether is only WRONG if it is other than whet the vehicle manufacturer directs. BRITAX does not mandate between or around head restraints. Routing of the BRITAX Versa-Tether should be as instructed by the vehicle manufacturer – if thesay go between, go between – if they say go around, go around – if the vehicle manual does NOT provide direction regading routing of the tether, BRITAX would recommend routing the tether in the most direct path between it’s attachment point to the CRS and the designated tether anchor of that seating position.

Athena

I don't have a quote, but my Subaru says to remove the vehicle head rests altogether while using the top tether. I wonder if any others say this.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC