Using LATCH anchors in a middle seat?

newtocarseats

Hi all. I have a 2016 Toyota Camry and a Chicco car seat. I read that installing a car seat in the middle is ideal.

My Camry only has LATCH anchors for the left and right seats.

Still I was able to connect the seats to the anchors from the middle seat by used the inner anchor from the right seat and the inner anchor from the left seat.

Is that okay?

Thank you in advance for your help.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hello and Welcome,

The middle vehicle seat is not necessarily considered the ideal one in all situations. Current best practice is any seat where the car seat can be correctly installed and used is a good choice. There are some advantages to middle seats, just as there are some to outboard seats. Availability of lower LATCH anchors is one of these.

Whether or not you can use LATCH in the middle vehicle seat varies widely by vehicle and the only way to know for sure is to read the vehicle owner's manual. Toyota does not allow this type "borrowing" anchors intended for outboard seats in most of their vehicles in general, including yours, but you should double check in your manual to make sure.

On the plus side, most Chicco seats have an easier-than-average installation with the lap/shoulder seatbelt. If you want to use the middle vehicle seat, then it is just as safe to install it with the seatbelt, as long as you can get a good installation as described in the manual for your car seat.

Please let us know if you have more questions and please include the child's age and weight and the model name of your Chicco car seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Chicco also only allows standard 11" spacing, which rules out "borrowing" anchors.

With the buckle stalk twisted to shorten it, I find the Keyfit installs really well with seatbelt in your center seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC