Ugh, my car seat is expired!

elacklen

We have #3 on the way, my oldest is 4, born 2008. I just pulled out our Graco SS and checked the manufacture date. WTF! It was manufactured in 2006!
Obviously as first time parents it wasn't something we thought to check when we purchased it. But I'm bummed that a company would sell a "new" car seat that is more than a year and a half old!

Just to clarify, the expiration is from the manufacture date, not first use date, right? We didn't buy it until February 2008, and started using it April 2008.
Guess we'll add it to the list of things we didn't think we'd have to buy...

ADS

aeormsby

Graco generally expire the end of the 6th year. So even if it was made in June 2006 it would expire Dec 31, 2012. There should be a stamp on the bottom of the seat, this is what ours looked like:

100_0334.JPG

It's a bummer that it was that old when you got it. Often times seats that are heavily discounted are older, kind of the way sellers make sure the stock doesn't get too old.

Brianna

That is unfortunate, I hope you bought it at a discount in 2008.

If you'd like recommendations for a new seat, could you give us your budget, the vehicle(s), the age and weight of the other children and what seats they ride in?

aschofield

I learned this lesson the hard way too. Bought a graco nautilus (at full price!!!) that was almost 2 years old. I didn't think to check the DOM until it had been in use for a few months so I never did anything about it. But I check dates now before I leave a store with anything that expires.

Stelvis

I've found that every seat I've ever bought on Amazon has been a few months old at most. They seem to move stock very quickly.

elacklen

It was from Albee Baby, not really discounted, but cheaper than Amazon because BRU was out of it in stores and I had to have *that* pattern! Lol We'll probably just do another Graco and hopefully sell it afterwards :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC