Question Trying to make progress... any advice?

starbuck8088

Well, I wish I could say I was looking for advice on how to get parents to rear-face PAST one year...

In the last few days I've seen at least 3 infants under a year old (about 10 months old) forward facing at the daycare I work at. Thursday night I talked to a parent, and informed her of the 1 and 20 law here, and that her son would be much safer rear-facing. She said she did not know, and they would turn his carseat back around. But today when she came in, it hadn't been done.

I've talked to my Director and Assistant Director, and they are both on board with getting these kids turned back around. They've made copies of a paper that has the car seat laws for our state to send home, and I'm going to print out the "How long should children ride facing the back of the car?" from SafetyBeltSafe to send home also.

Other than this, what else is there that we can do? Any ideas on how to get these kids rear facing to AT LEAST a year, if not more?

ADS

canadiangie

What your daycare intends to do sounds great to me, and I'm not sure much else can be done. Parents make bad decisions on behalf of their children everyday -- even with all the information right in front of them.

I'm not sure involving the law would be a good idea, though it's is a possibility as clearly some of these parents are breaking the law. Just not sure how beneficial that would be, I guess.

If your daycare has an information board you could put a poster up stating the benefits of rf'ing. You could rotate through ERF, harnessing to at least 4 and 40lbs, and the the importance of boosters.

CommMom

Senior Community Member
Could you contact your local SafeKids and see about setting up a car seat check at your daycare?

The coalition I volunteer with sometimes schedules seat check events (and sometimes booster awareness as well) for daycares in the area who request it. It's really great because the event is at the end of the day when folks are picking kids up after work. Parents don't have to go anywhere or do anything special because the techs are right there outside the daycare.

aja

when i worked at a daycare (over 10 years ago) they had a carseat check there one afternoon/evening. it was the woman that came out to teach our cpr class. i don't remember many of the details, but my brother went to the daycare with me and i remember her talking to him about his booster and he took it very very seriously (he was 4).

starbuck8088

Thank you for the advice.

I'm not sure where our "local" SafeKids would be. We are in a small-ish town, and the nearest place that has seat checks is about an hour away. Someone from Iowa might be able to help me with this. Does it cost anything to organize a check like that? Because if it does, that might not be a possibility.

This is one of those times I REALLY wish I had my certification, so I could get more involved.

CommMom

Senior Community Member
I can't speak for everybody...but my understanding is that our check events are always free to schedule and attend. In my area, we do travel to other towns, etc.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC