Trying to figure out our next configuration for 4yo (almost 5) and 8 year old

Jenninbel

I got some great advice from a carseat tech here locally but I still have some questions. So, I'll start from the beginning.

I have two boys. DS8 is 8 yo at definitely in booster range. We have him in either a Recaro Performance booster or the Vivo. DS4 is 4, turning 5 in Dec. We did some booster training around town to prepare him for a potential short taxi drive. He is currently in Frontier 85s in harness mode.

DS4 is right at the 40 pound mark. Sometimes, he measures a little under, but sometimes right at 40. He is 42" tall. His seated height is right around 15" (DH is all torso and both boys seem to have gotten that trait, which has been annoying with trying to keep them rear facing as long as possible, etc). In the Frontier 85, the top of his head extends above the shell (which I know is fine, but just giving you an idea).

Both boys have a metabolic disorder. The trip we are taking is to Cleveland to see an expert in this disorder to get DS4 on a regime to get him stable. We have been told to expect some catchup growth to happen. Looking at his growth chart, if he stayed on this curve, he would outgrow the Frontier harness in seated height by April 2016. I don't like to go right up to the very max because I worry about an inch of growth I miss, so once within an inch of the max, I switch over as long as my kids are safely in the range of the next step.

DS4, wanting to be just like his brother has not been happy about being moved back into the harness seat. Not at all. And maybe I feel awful because I am dragging him to a hospital for IVs and arterial lines and he has been very clear he does not want to go. So, there may be some mommy guilt here. Being honest!

It is very possible that he will grow (height) very close to the max of the harness mode in the Frontier faster than I plan. Maybe weight, but I would prefer him be a few pounds over 40 if the min is 40. The Recaro is rated to 30 pounds and he has a pretty perfect fit in the Vivo and Performance booster.

So, here is my question. Do I move him to the Recaros, convert the Frontiers to booster modes and put DS8 in those? I will eventually phase out the Frontiers as I like the Recaros (those deep wings are the BEST!). Although I did notice that DS8 looked like his shoulders were squished in the Recaros and I think the Frontiers are wider. So, basically I am asking about putting DS4 in the Recaros, move DS8 to the Frontiers.

DS4 acted up a little bit in the boosters but once we had a good talk about why he needs to sit correctly, he has been really great. And I will move him so I can see him easily to keep a closer eye on him. But his seems to really understand what is being asked. The advice I got before was not to move a child to booster until 5, not matter how mature and regardless of weight/height.

When he does field trips with school, he is in a booster (another reason he doesn't want to be harnessed).

So, how bad would it be to switch?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't generally advise moving to a booster until around 5 1/2, full time, or later depending on the kid. Part time training should definitely happen first.

Remember that standing height limits have little to do with when a seat is outgrown for most kids. Most children outgrow a seat by shoulders over the top setting (and going over the standing height recommendation is not an immediate, not one more trip in this seat emergency like it is with the weight limit.)

The frontier tends to not fit most kids really well in booster mode until they have outgrown the harness, so take that into account.

In the end you have a lot of good options. If it were me, I would probably allow more and more part time use but still have the harness for the 4 year old for longer trips, night time etc until it's closer to outgrown. :)

jjordan

I am not aware of any studies showing that 40 pound 4 year olds are safer in harnesses compared to properly used boosters. (And in fact your ds is very close to 5 years old.) From what I know, I believe that a booster is a safe choice for 4 year olds who are 40 pounds and sit properly 100% of the time.

The one potential fly in the ointment for you guys is that I have no idea whether or not his metabolic disorder might have had any affect on his skeletal development. Since the expert has told you to expect "catch up" growth, that makes me wonder if he is perhaps delayed now as far as his physical booster readiness. For that reason, I would continue to harness him until the experts are able to give you assurance that his skeleton is developed to the point of (at least) a normal 4 year old.

Jenninbel

The disorder is a glycogen storage disease. I will ask that specific question but my understanding is that it isn't the skeleton that is affected. They get severely hypoglycemic and then burn fat to make ketones. So my oldest, when he stands, you can see his entire rib cage, although he eats more than me. Once they go on protein and cornstarch, the body stops using the body reserves of fat and protein and they will catch up to where they should be with weight and there is some height growth that will happen as well.

Brianna

I would err on the side of caution and keep him harnessed until you get a confirmation that his skeletal development is that of a typical 4-5 year old. Beyond that, 4 and 40 are considered minimums. Some parents feel that their children are mature enough to move to a booster at that point, while other parents prefer to harness longer. Beyond age/weight/maturity, you also have to consider if the child is capable of sitting in position in a booster at all times- including while sleeping, or on a trip to somewhere they don't want to go.

For the 8 year old in the booster- yes, you could switch him to the FR85s in booster mode if you put the 4 year old in the other boosters. At 8 years old though, a backless booster is an option, assuming he meets the height and weight requirements. Do you think he needs the support of the high back booster to stay in position?

Jenninbel

I like how he looks in the high back. We do sometimes ride in a no back booster but for everyday and longer trios, I prefer high back. The Recaros have such deep wings that having either kid go to sleep hasn't been an issue. They are still in a good position.

Jenninbel

I guess I need to check on how my oldest would fit in the frontier as a booster. That would negate all of this if he doesn't have a good fit.

Can a child ride in harness mode in the Fontier until the ears are at the top of the shell?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Until ears are at top of the headrest. But that almost never happens before shoulders go over the top belt guide position. (if you're talking about in harness mode that's shoulders over top harness setting.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC