Question Traverse vs Caravan 5 car seats

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
OK so the van is about to die its final death....

We have narrowed it down to 3 vehicles:

used but 2008-newer Dodge Grand Caravan/Chrysler T&C
used Chevy Traverse
used Toyota Sienna (but have to find an 8 seater)

I am leaning towards the Caravan or the Traverse.

Pros/Cons:
Caravan: only 7 seats Traverse: 8 seats Traverse wins

Caravan: sliding doors Traverse: regular "car" doors Caravan wins

Caravan and Traverse: 1 harnessed child will have to go in back row, I would have to climb over to do buckles.

I used to drive a S-10 Blazer, then got my van... so I like both the vans and SUV, that doesn't bother me, and we would buy the Traverse in FWD, so not concerned with SUV vs Van or 2wd vs AWD.

Right now I have 56-57" of car seat space in the middle row of my van (3 seats) and room for the 2 boosters in the back row. The Caravan has only 47" in the back row, which means I would have to buy at least 1 smaller car seat. My 2 MA's and SS take up the full 56" middle row.

The Sienna seems to be my best option, but I am not sure we can swing it price wise, I hear they keep their value and stay high for quite a few years...

Opinions please... DH is leaning toward the Caravan, because he doesn't want the kids whipping the Traverse doors open and hitting another car or whatever (I agree). He agreed to purchase 1 new car seat to accommodate the Caravan.... I think it would need 2...

ADS

Melanie

We looked at a new Traverse recently. Something I didn't like at all was the lack of head rests in the middle second row and middle third row. So you'd have to have a car seat or booster in those positions. That may not matter to you though since you have so many in seats. I don't remember if there are top tethers in the third row or not. Some SUVs we looked at had no 3rd row top tethers. The Mazda 9 was that way.

I'd think you should be able to put three car seats across the third row, 2 on the 60 part of the second row and still flip the second row 40 spot to get to your 3rd row kids.

Edmonds.com is a good place to compare prices, features, etc.

npauli

If I were in your shoes, I'd do whatever it takes to get the 8 pass Sienna out of those 3.

More room than the traverse
Better quality than the Caravan
More useful 2nd row than either
More useful 3rd row than traverse

If you just can't pull it off, or don't want to for some reason, I'd probably take the Caravan over the traverse, though it would be a tough call.

I'd expect caravan to have more useful & usable seats and storage, but traverse probably ranks higher for quality, reliability, resale, etc.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I have been to every dealership in a 50 mile radius and nobody can get me a Sienna :(

And today's was "You know they are very expensive" :eek: I wanted to slap the guy so bad! HTF does he know how much money we have? Who is he to tell me we can't afford one when he never asked my my price point or payment range I was interested in. I can see if I walked in there looking at a Hyundai Elantra, then changed my mind and decided I liked the Sienna I could see that.. but it was so uncalled for! If I wasn't so desperately looking for a Sienna, I would have just walked out!

lovinwaves

What about a Honda Odyssey (skip the year 2005), Hyundai Entourage, or Kia Sendona?

Have you checked Craigslist or other private vehicle selling website for a used van?

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
What about a Honda Odyssey (skip the year 2005), Hyundai Entourage, or Kia Sendona?

Have you checked Craigslist or other private vehicle selling website for a used van?

Hubby said No way in He!! to the Hyundai and Kia...(I agree) and the Honda has as little room as the Dodge, Dodge is cheaper so Dodge wins...

We don't do private party purchases, got burned once and that was that for DH :rolleyes:

Going tonight to test drive the Dodge and Traverse...and my girlfriend has a Sienna so gonna go steal it for a few before we go just to see... I found a dealership about 2 hours from here that "can get me a 8-pass Sienna by Monday" as soon as I go give them a deposit...we shall see Pray for me LOL... DH is on the warpath with this thing :rolleyes:

Calideedle

I have a Grand Caravan and would do anything in my power for a Sienna.

The safety ratings are better, better for Car Seats (top tethers), re-sale value, etc.

I do love my Grand Caravan though!!!

crunchierthanthou

I know you've bought your vehicle, but an 8 seater Sienna really isn't that expensive. They don't come in the fully loaded trims. When I was shopping for them a few months ago, I found them to be surprisingly affordable. Even an 08-09 would be under $20k.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I know you've bought your vehicle, but an 8 seater Sienna really isn't that expensive. They don't come in the fully loaded trims. When I was shopping for them a few months ago, I found them to be surprisingly affordable. Even an 08-09 would be under $20k.

I am talking long term costs... DH works for an autobody shop on the side and knows the cost of repairing them... The dealership that "could get me one" wanted over $25k for an '08 with nearly 50k miles on it :thumbsdown: No thanks! Must be the area I live in or something :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC