Question Trade T&C for slightly older Odyssey?

armywife12

Last summer we jumped the gun and bought a new 2013 T&C Touring and, since then, I've regretted the vehicle choice. I've found some 2011 Odyssey EXs that are about the same price as what I'm seeing trade in value being for our current van, maybe slightly more depending on the deal we can get. We'd be going from leather to cloth, losing our DVD system and rear back up camera but Odysseys of course are much better overall and offer more seating positions for our growing family. Is the switch worth it? Our financial situation isn't great right now either but our family is about to grow to 5 in October and I'm feeling the urgency for more seating options.

ADS

jjordan

When you mention your financial situation, is that assuming that the Odyssey would actually make your finances worse? What is it specifically that you regret about your current vehicle?

armywife12

When you mention your financial situation, is that assuming that the Odyssey would actually make your finances worse? What is it specifically that you regret about your current vehicle?

We just paid the van off so, assuming I get trade in value on the higher side, it looks like the Odyssey would be about $1-2K more than Trade in value so we'd have a car payment again for a little while. Financially, we have some credit cards to pay off and will be paying $3500 for our HB midwife. I'm also buying tons of material for homeschooling this year so most of our "extra" money will be going to all of that.

My dislikes about the T&C are the lack of top tethers, the EXTREMELY sloped third row and annoying headrests that get in the way when placing seats back there, and less seating options for multiple car seats. We have 2 children with a third on the way and likely not our last child.

CarSafetyGuy

On the financial end, I'm hesitant to recommend taking on a car payment unless you absolutely have to, especially since you just paid off a very new vehicle. On the car end, the Odyssey should give you more flexibility, since they're particularly known for being car seat friendly (especially compared to new Siennas). However, there are other options--older Odysseys and older Siennas would give you essentially the same amount of car seat flexibility but for thousands of dollars less.

jjordan

On the financial end, I'm hesitant to recommend taking on a car payment unless you absolutely have to, especially since you just paid off a very new vehicle. On the car end, the Odyssey should give you more flexibility, since they're particularly known for being car seat friendly (especially compared to new Siennas). However, there are other options--older Odysseys and older Siennas would give you essentially the same amount of car seat flexibility but for thousands of dollars less.

I agree with this. I'd look at older Odysseys & Siennas, maybe even a 2010 Sedona. Wouldn't it be great if you could get something you like more and not have to be out any money? :)

armywife12

I definitely want to avoid spending more money on a van. I enjoy no car payments. I think I might start with trying to privately sell and then find a van for a little less after. Thanks everyone

henrietta

Personally, I'd keep it. It's paid for. Your financial situation isn't what you want it to be. It's new. It's probably still under warranty. And honestly, 3 kids in any mini van is totally doable. With adding a third right now, your finances are about to get tougher. Keep it a few years. You don't need lots of top tethers in your situation...2 at a time at the most, and looking at the age & size of your first 2, you may only need one most of the time. We just added a third baby...and I downsized from an old T&C a few months before I got pregnant. We have a 3 across that's a pain, but it was a great deal & I won't find as nice a car for the price I paid (it's paid for).

Once your newbie gets here, I don't think you'll think the T&C is as big of a problem as you are thinking it will be right now. Yes, an Oddy has more seating options, but it doesn't make a huge impact on 3 kiddos. I'd wait a few years & then sell the T&C.

armywife12

Personally, I'd keep it. It's paid for. Your financial situation isn't what you want it to be. It's new. It's probably still under warranty. And honestly, 3 kids in any mini van is totally doable. With adding a third right now, your finances are about to get tougher. Keep it a few years. You don't need lots of top tethers in your situation...2 at a time at the most, and looking at the age & size of your first 2, you may only need one most of the time. We just added a third baby...and I downsized from an old T&C a few months before I got pregnant. We have a 3 across that's a pain, but it was a great deal & I won't find as nice a car for the price I paid (it's paid for).

Once your newbie gets here, I don't think you'll think the T&C is as big of a problem as you are thinking it will be right now. Yes, an Oddy has more seating options, but it doesn't make a huge impact on 3 kiddos. I'd wait a few years & then sell the T&C.

My SIL just spent a month with us with her 1 month old daughter. 3 in that vehicle was a pain for us. I hated it lol. Financially, adding another baby won't start to get tough for at least another 2 yrs or so since we cloth diaper and full term breastfeed. All clothes for either gender are already taken care of. We aren't hurting for money by any means or anything. Guess I made it sound worse than it is. I just don't want to add another monthly payment. If I private sell and buy something a little less then we won't have one. Baby #4 will likely be a reality some time next year if plans go accordingly lol. Finances aside, I just didn't know if a slightly older with more mileage Ody is better long term than a newer T&C. My van used is currently being sold through dealerships for about $5000 more than what we paid for it so we wouldn't lose much at all through private sale.

I appreciate all the responses!!!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Do you have a Car Lotz in your neighborhood? Look them up, you will make way more money selling your van than trading it. I regret trading my 2003 Ody in, instead of selling it. My neighbor's a super tightwad accountant with a car collection, he loved selling his van with Car Lotz. (might be one word, for google purposes).

Baylor

Another vote for keeping it. Good warranty and over time things change and as your set up changes you can rearrange things..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC