Town and Country and boosters

cookie123

Okay, I'm worrying a bit because DD just got a 2009 Routan and I keep reading about poor belt fit with boosters in the Town and Country - does this translate to Grand Caravan, too? What would work best?

I haven't seen the big kids since the switch and I'm fretting because my DD is just not into making sure the kids are safe in the car.

ADS

stephpook

We rented a newer model T&C last summer and yes, the belt fit was unacceptable on my boostered kids in the third row (no contact at all between the belt and their entire upper torso. I'm not a tech, but it didn't seem at all safe, The belt positioning clip didn't help either). Belt fit in the captain's chairs was fine.

BUT, I had backless boosters and we were traveling, so no way to try a HB. I'm assuming the shoulder belt guide on a high back would have fixed that issue, but I can't be sure. There might have been a way to adjust the vehicle seat or seatbelts to improve the belt geometry, but since it was really hot outside and I had 4 hungry kids and 3 adults waiting on me to do my thing, I just put the boosters in the middle row and the harnessed seats in the third row and let it go at that.

ETA: Oops, sorry - I meant to say a GC. We rented the T&C the time before.

Last edited:

Phineasmama

The shoulder belts just make it worse. I have a kiddy booster and a kiddy cruiserfix pro in booster model back there and those are the only things that I found that worked. I have heard that the cheaper Evenflo boosters might work though.

aept

I have a 2010 grand caravan. Boosters are ok in the captains chairs or center third row. It's the outboard third row that is tricky. I just got a recaro vivo for my oldest in that spot and it is a good fit there. A backless booster there would be bad. High back boosters with the belt guide toward the back don't seem to work well there as the belt has to route through kinda funny and can get hung up. So the parkway SGL didn't work there.
But I can vouch for the vivo. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Mysweethoneybee

I haven't tried boosters in the 3rd row but I know the belt fit is horrible on my older boys who are 6ft and 6'4". But we didn't try the back seat when we bought the vehicle and I only made sure a car seat fit well in the captains chairs.

fyrfightermomma

Haven't found a hc or nbb that works back there. I just make do with what I have which doesn't make me all that happy. One is in a compass booster and the other a nb turbo. But yes , belt for sucks and I've yet to find a lb that doesn't suck

Phineasmama

Nice to know that the Vivo works too, it's kind of hard to recommend the Kiddy ones since they are SO expensive and most people just aren't willing to pay that :eek:

Did you have any issues with the kid pulling the belt out too far in order to buckle and then it locking? That was the issue I was having recently. I have DD1 in the captains chair right now because it's just so much easier for her to buckle herself.

aept

Nice to know that the Vivo works too, it's kind of hard to recommend the Kiddy ones since they are SO expensive and most people just aren't willing to pay that :eek:

Did you have any issues with the kid pulling the belt out too far in order to buckle and then it locking? That was the issue I was having recently. I have DD1 in the captains chair right now because it's just so much easier for her to buckle herself.

Yeah, I think you recommended the Kiddy to me - you got a great deal on yours, right? Still, pretty easy to find the vivo for around $80 so I figured I'd go with that ;)

DS1 has not had issues with the belt locking yet. He's still getting the hang of buckling it, though. He sits in it very nicely, and remembers to re-buckle when we are leaving the car, but just pulling the belt out far enough to buckle and then making sure it's routed correctly is still a bit time consuming and sometimes he still needs a little help with that part. It's only been about a week though and he's only 6! I think he'll have it down pat pretty soon.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC