Top tether strap isn't long enough?

covigirl

I just got a new car, a GMC Acadia, and got great installs with the LATCH system on both of my seats (2nd row bucket seats), except that the top tether strap on my Evenflo Tribute isn't long enough to reach the top tether anchor over the headrest. The headrest doesn't move up, so I can't go under it. My vehicle manual says that a single strap should go over the headrest while a double strap can go around the headrest, one strap on each side. I'm assuming that means I can't bring my single top tether around one side of the headrest so it will reach the anchor?

I do have one top tether seat in the 3rd row that I haven't tried yet, but I really want both kids in the 2nd row until #3 comes along. There is the option of buying another seat, since my 4 1/2 year old is getting tall for it. The straps are still above her shoulders, so she has a bit of room.

ADS

Pixels

Evenflo makes top tether straps that are too short. It's a common problem with their seats in certain vehicles.

You are correct, you need to route your single tether strap over, not around the headrest.

Contact Evenflo. They should send you an extension for the top tether.

Mommy0608

:yeahthat:

Evenflo does have tether extenders, I saw them on their website. I'm not sure if they'll send you one free, or if you'll have to pay, but it wasn't very expensive if I remember correctly. It's not just Evenflo, I know Dorel has this problem too and also will send out extender straps.

You're right that you can't bring the single strap around the head rest, unfortunately. You mentioned getting a new seat... your child fits as long as she is under the weight limit, the tops of her ears are below the top of the seat shell and the harness is at or above her shoulders. You could always pass the Evenflo seat down to a younger child and buy a new seat for the 4 year old, such as the Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier. These have higher weight limits and taller harness slots so they will last much longer. :)

Let us know if you have any questions about new seat options.

covigirl

Thank you! Oddly enough, my Dorel seat (Safety 1st Enspira) has a long enough tether. It never even occurred to me that a company wouldn't make the tethers long enough. I will contact Evenflo, because she does still fit the seat, even if it won't be for long.

Maggie

Yep, Evenflo makes short tethers.

I had an Evenflo Triumph Advance installed FF in the captain chair of my Pontiac Montana. I had to take it out and I could not get the dumb thing off! There was no extra slack, my tether anchors are designed so you need to let out extra slack and push the clip in towards the seat to unlatch the tether.
There was just enough strap to get it clipped on, but it was impossible to take it off.

Well, it was impossible to do with the Evenflo. After cussing and sweating for 45 minutes, I called my husband out. We had to take the entire captain chair out of the van to get it at an angle where we could get the dumb thing off.

henrietta

Well, it was impossible to do with the Evenflo. After cussing and sweating for 45 minutes, I called my husband out. We had to take the entire captain chair out of the van to get it at an angle where we could get the dumb thing off.

This has happened to me before...after the first time I did it, I realized that if I unhook the seatbelt first and have a second set of hands lift the car-seat up, I can get enough slack to unhook the tether. It requires two people, but only takes a minute or two.

:)

henrietta

Maggie

This has happened to me before...after the first time I did it, I realized that if I unhook the seatbelt first and have a second set of hands lift the car-seat up, I can get enough slack to unhook the tether. It requires two people, but only takes a minute or two.

:)

henrietta

See, I have these stupid headrests in my van. They don't come off without a special tool from the dealer. They move up a bit, but don't come off. So I have to route the tether strap under the headrest. Even unbuckling the seat didn't do anything because we couldn't lift it up at all. Well, we could but it didn't help with the tether at all because it's stuck under the headrest.

So it was a double whammy, dumb car and dumb top tether. :p

covigirl

I will probably still contact Evenflo because we have a trip coming up in a few months were we'd like to have the whole 3rd row down for packing purposes, but for now, I installed the seat in the center of the 3rd row, where there is no headrest to get in the way of the tether. It was fairly difficult to get it solid there with the seatbelt (no LATCH, only rear tether) because the car seat barely fits between the belts. I thought it was solid, then realized it was just wedged in the space. I did get it solid, though, with unbuckling the belt and retracting a couple of clicks and rebuckling while kneeling in the seat.

covigirl

Finally called Evenflo, and they sent me a tether strap extender. I did have to pay for it, but it was less than $10 total; would have been even with the S&H, which they waived. Now the seat installs beautifully right were I want it at the moment. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC