Vent Top tether panic!

jwilliams

I had a bit of a panic tonight. My ILs are visiting. They wanted to take just-turned-5yo DD on an outing, just her, so I put the RXT in FILs new Chrysler 300C. It installed easily (though the non-removable, non-adjustable headrests on both outboard seats... WTH, it would be a booster nightmare!).

I had a little trouble getting the top tether connector on. But the real problem came when I went to get it off. So, first of all, the angle is awful. Really just made for eating knuckles. Secondly, the top tether bar on the car is covered in a thick layer of white paint that takes away any precious millimeters you might have had to work with.

After about 10 minutes, DH finally got it off, I think just by scraping the paint off the tether while trying to undo the hook. Crisis averted. Thank goodness the tethers are covered up so they don't show when not in use, because it now looks awful.

We've never dealt with top tethers in a non-hatchback car before (or, for that matter, something that is not a Honda), so maybe this was a user error. It didn't seem like it, though. I put it on right side up.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Some anchors are tough to undo, just because of the placement! I always hurt my hands getting the hooks off in my mom's Sentra, because my hand would hit the sloping window (that car is seriously TINY.) I always ended up having to unbuckle the seat and lift it (no small feat with a 20+ lb Radian) to get a better angle to unhook the tether. >_<

jwilliams

Oh, and just as a brief FYI to anyone who might be wondering: the car is a weird mix of car seat friendly and unfriendly. Wide back seat, three full sets of LATCH (!), good rear legroom. BUT: LATCH is really hard to access, and the outboard headrests are immovable and totally integrated into the seat. They're not all that high, either, so there could be issues even with LBBs. They do jut forward from the back seat. Plus, top tether awfulness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC