To repair or sell and buy a different vehicle?

christineka

Our 2007 sienna is dying. We can spend thousands of dollars to slow its death or buy a different one. I'm starting to thing buying a different one may be the way to go. I see that the lowest price 8 passenger 2007 siennas are going for $11k. What do you think the depreciation would be for a mechanic's special? We have some body damage: slight dent in the door along with two colors of paint from two poles, two missing hubcaps (people steal them while I'm parked in a public place!), and a missing triangle piece by the mirror. (Someone stole that too.)

The mechanical problem is with the engine. (Either needs a new engine or an engine rebuild.) It'll need new spark plugs and a new catalytic converter as well.

ADS

keri1292

:eek:

I thought these suckers were supposed to last?

I'd go newer if it's in the budget. Is this model year know to have engine issues? :(

christineka

Two mechanics have told me that the van was not taken care of. It looks like the oil has never been changed. We've owned the van for 3 years and did change the oil, but whether it has been done as much as it should have, I don't know. The details are fuzzy to me, but my husband says it has been. I've known my husband to not remember things accurately, though. Also, our van has a light that comes on when we reach so many miles to tell us that it needs an oil change, which makes it more likely that we did. Maybe the damage was done before we bought, or maybe we did it. I've certainly learned a lot about car care in the past few months.

jacqui276

For the cost of all of those repairs, I would probably just sell it (likely won't get a ton for it) and buy something new to you..

YinzerMama

What did you end up doing or haven't you decided?

We're (most likely) going back to an older 8 pass Sienna from a new Ody. Going to decide in the next few days (have a downpayment on a '10 with 30k on it). Are you going to look for another one? I wanted to ask how you feel the legroom is as the kids grow. That's my biggest reservation. There is a smidge more legroom in the new ody. But everything else about the old sienna is better IMO.

Just curious what you ended up doing or plan to do.

christineka

We've decided to drive it till it dies. Actually, we had the mechanic do some tune up work on it and he thought he found the problem and fixed it. The van was working great- until I took a long drive and it started smoking again. Whatever it is, we're just going to keep driving and doing small maintenance repairs. (I have to get some new tires and axels next. Should do that today before the snow flies.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC