Tips/tricks for car sick RFing 3y/o....

brelza

Turned 3 the end of January. I drive a 2011 Toyota sienna. Son is in a graco slimfit RFing. He's 31lbs and approx 38". I know the ideal is to keep them RFing to the max, BUT...20+ minutes in the car and he's usually puking. I tried adjusting the recline and it hasn't helped. Everyone around me is telling me to just turn him and if that doesn't work try various meds. I don't want to have to give him meds every time we go out, because he doesn't always puke (maybe about 80% of the time he does). It doesn't matter, warm, cold, sunny, cloudy,meal/snack/empty stomach etc. We've stopped letting him look at his vtech phone or talking books during the ride thinking maybe that would help since he'd be looking out the window more BUT...no luck. Recommendations? We haven't been much of anywhere because he's always getting car sick. Poor kid puked 3x today when I drove 30 minutes to my dads, took him to a dr appt, and drove back home. He usually can puke in a small container that we have next to him on the seat but it doesn't always work. He always feels miserable and doesn't like to go anywhere because of it.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would get an eye exam if this is a new thing; vision issues can cause car sickness and are worth ruling out. Other than that, blocking the windows with stick-on shades helps some kids (looking out the window often makes it worse), and ginger tea is a clinically proven remedy that's completely safe for children.

But if you've tried a lot of things and they don't work, it may be worth trying forward facing. He's an age at which forward facing isn't inherently dangerous. He meets the minimums of every seat I'm aware of. And it doesn't help all kids, but it helps some- sometimes the orientation lets them focus on something inside the car better, or sometimes changing the pressure on the stomach helps, or both. It wouldn't be an unsafe choice to make at this point, and severe car sickness is definitely a legitimate medical reason to consider it if other strategies aren't helping.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC