Three across in a 2012 Honda Pilot?

Suzibeck

I'm meeting with a mom later this week. She has a Britax Frontier in harness mode, a rf Diono Radian RXT, and a Chicco Keyfit. I'm guessing we will not be able to get three across in the middle row with these seats but does anyone have any suggestions? I don't have heights and weights on the kids yet but she is open to putting someone in the 3rd row if she has to. She is not wanting to buy another seat but would like to know if another combo would work better. Kids are 6, 18 months, and a newborn coming soon.

ADS

Meg

You'll have no problems with those seats doing a 3 across. I currently have a FR90, Ranier, and Parkway in my middle row in my Pilot and there's plenty of room to spare.

Meg

My personal preference would be the FR center, Radian outboard behind the passenger and the infant seat outboard on the driver's side.

Reasons being for me.. I like to be able to reach back and unbuckle my son in the FR so he can start getting out of his seat while I get out and head back to start unbuckling my RF kid, so middle is best for that. Also, he buckles himself in, but if for some reason he's having issues, I can reach back and help him in the middle seat. I'm small and have shoulder issues, so it's too hard for me to lift an infant car seat into the middle seat when I'm standing outside, but that wouldn't be an issue for a tall couple. Also, I parallel park on busy roads daily, and I prefer not to stand out in the road trying to get my RFer buckled. It's easier to have a baby already strapped into an infant seat on that side.

It really depends on what makes most sense for the parents, but really any configuration will install easily!

Carolinadaisy

I would put the 6 yr old outboard on the passenger side. A 6 yr old can likely buckle and unbuckle unassisted. Also, if they use a carpool drop off line for school, child will need to be able to get out quickly on that side.

As to the other 2 seats, I would ask the parent what is preferred. I'm not sure what would be easiest with 2 rf kids next to each other.

aporthole

I have a 2011 Pilot (same exact interior as a 2012). I have a Frontier 90 passenger side, rear facing NextFit center, and can fit a KeyFit or a Boulevard CT on the driver side. You'll have no problem at all with a Frontier, Radian, and KeyFit. Seat belt install for the seat behind driver will buy you a good 2" of extra width as the lower anchors for the center/driver side are closely set. The seats are nice and flat all the way across so you can cheat seat belt installs all the way to the edge of the seats.

aporthole

Oh, I forgot to add, that we will be adding baby #3 in March and my current plan is to put the Frontier in the center (DS will be 6 within 2 weeks of baby's birth), Boulevard CT rear facing passenger side and most likely a Combi Coccoro behind driver for baby. My oldest can climb under the rear facing seats and self buckle in the center and then loading/buckling the rear facers will be easier from the outboard positions.

Yeah, the 2nd row seats are nice and wide. We haven't had problems with any 3-across scenarios in that row. Our seats are generally narrow but there's a good amount of extra space left, even with LATCH installs in all 3.

aporthole, if you're comfortable with the idea of having your 6yo outboard in the Frontier, you may try fitting the RF seats center and driver-side and see how it works for you. For me, I've found 3-across to be easier and faster to load with both rear-facers on my side -- I can park the double stroller, load them both in and buckle while the older child gets himself situated independently. Especially nice when it's raining, not to have to trot around to the other side of the car to take care of that extra seat.

We don't have a lot of parallel parking here, though. If you'll be parallel parking a lot, I'd put the RFs center and pax side, load them, then walk with the 6yo to driver's side.

aporthole

Yeah, the 2nd row seats are nice and wide. We haven't had problems with any 3-across scenarios in that row. Our seats are generally narrow but there's a good amount of extra space left, even with LATCH installs in all 3.

aporthole, if you're comfortable with the idea of having your 6yo outboard in the Frontier, you may try fitting the RF seats center and driver-side and see how it works for you. For me, I've found 3-across to be easier and faster to load with both rear-facers on my side -- I can park the double stroller, load them both in and buckle while the older child gets himself situated independently. Especially nice when it's raining, not to have to trot around to the other side of the car to take care of that extra seat.

We don't have a lot of parallel parking here, though. If you'll be parallel parking a lot, I'd put the RFs center and pax side, load them, then walk with the 6yo to driver's side.

I may try that. My almost 3 year old is currently RFing in the center (FFer passenger side) but I'm short (5'2") and I'm not exactly sure how I'd reach over to the center to buckle my then 3 year old. I'll give it a try as dealing with the 2 that require loading/buckling by me would be nice to do all from the same side.

I'm 5'1". But just realized our Pilot came with running boards installed (we bought it used). I can see where it could be tricky without the running boards.

I bought a folding step stool on Amazon for my 3-year-old to make it possible for him to climb into his seat by himself; we also used it for a road trip where we had 6 carseats installed and 3rd row kids had to load through the back hatch. A stool like that could simplify loading kids if you don't have running boards -- maybe check it out?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Plastics-101-6R-RED-Foldz-Step-Stool/dp/B000VI4ZGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419990929&sr=8-1&keywords=ez+foldz+stool+red"]Amazon.com: B&R Plastics 101-6R-RED EZ Foldz Step Stool: Automotive[/ame]

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC