Three across and upper tether question

krasota

I'm doing favors for two friends on Monday. This is really a one-time thing for one trip across town and back. I need to be able to transport a 5mo infant and two 3.5yo kiddos in my 97 Crown Vic. No lower anchors, so no LATCH installs.

I own three seats: Cosco Scenera 40RF, SS1, Britax Boulevard. My 3.5yo son usually RF in his Boulevard, but I don't mind FF for a trip to make this easier. I only have one upper tether anchor point (retrofit on the rear passenger side)

I have solid, independent installs on all three as follows: Scenera FF, SS1 in the middle (lapbelt), Blvd FF. The convertibles are installed with the lap/shoulder belt. Since I only have one upper anchor, would it be better for the Scenera or Blvd to be tethered? I can't get the bucket and blvd RF side by side. They puzzle just fine with the blvd FF.

I can get the seats these children normally ride in. The baby is in a keyfit, the older girl is in a Radian of one flavor or another.

I *might* be able to get the Scenera in RF, but I'll need to go cut some noodles into a pyramid. I don't think it will puzzle, though. The other 3.5yo can only FF on this trip (she might be too tall for the Scenera RF and she's over the 33lb RF limit on the Blvd). My child fits RF in either convertible.

So, thoughts?

ADS

Keeanh

Well, my first thought is, give the RF Scenera a try. I'm pretty sure you don't need noodles. I don't. I just jam the "foot" into the vehicle seatback, like a baseless infant seat install. Or maybe RF the Radian?

Sorry, I don't know enough of the science to make a decision about tethering -- it's a moot point for me since I live in Canada.

krasota

Wwithout noodles, the Scenera is extremely upright in my vehicle. It's about 25-30° with one noodle. I'll see if it puzzles tomorrow.

I won't be able to get the Radian until the day of, so there's no way to know ahead of time whether it will make things easier.

Keeanh

Wwithout noodles, the Scenera is extremely upright in my vehicle. It's about 25-30° with one noodle. I'll see if it puzzles tomorrow.

I won't be able to get the Radian until the day of, so there's no way to know ahead of time whether it will make things easier.

Yeah, I know. Okay, the "foot" at the front of the Scenera, where the child's feet would be if FF... you get behind the RF seat and jam that "foot" into the vehicle's seatback. It's okay if there's a gap underneath it. Just cinch it in good and it won't go anywhere. The first time I did it, my Scenera was over-reclined, LOL! Give it a try.

I hope someone else has opinions for you on not tethering. I understand it has to do with head excursion, so I think it would depend greatly on what is in front of the seats.

krasota

DS made it easier for me. He told me in no uncertain terms that he would NOT ride in a car with a baby. DS was my carseat screamer (until 2y) and he's not keen on younger children making noises in the car. Having a non-compliant 3.5yo next to a 5mo baby would be kind of hairy.

So he's staying home with DH (WAHD) and I'm taking the baby with me in the bucket. Friend's 3.5yo DD can ride in the tethered FF Blvd. No need for a three across.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Churchlady

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Maxi Cosi is a proud sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2021 Carseat Media LLC