This can't be right, can it?

BeautifulChaos

A friend got pulled over in our little dinky town for a burnt out tail light. I recently convinced her to turn her 19 month old (just barely 21 lbs) back to RF (yay!) The cop told her she had to turn the seat back to FF because it blocked her rear view. That can't be right, can it?

ADS

Keeanh

Of course that's crap. Almost all seats take up more of the rear window FF than RF (because they're reclined, of course). That baby isn't even big enough to FF in a lot of seats. I'm guessing most new US seats are 22lbs (they all are in Canada), and the TF is 23lbs for FF.

lourdes

I was pull over ones and the cop told me that the car seat had to be move outboard because it need it the front seat so it didn't go flying in an accident, it was a really heated discussion but I end up moving her because the driver (my mom) was driving with a SC license when she was already living in PR, so the cop said if i didn't move her she was going to take the car, I did move her for about a mile and then stop and move her back to the center. But cops sometimes say what they think as if it was the law

lovemy2kidstw

And some cops talk out of their a$$ when it comes to car seats! That is ridiculous but not uncommon. The cop that was at the seat check I went to tried to get me to turn my 17 mo old at the time DS FF because he said they recommend turning them when they are 1. He was barely 21 lbs. I told him no way, that was why I bought a seat to keep him RF for a long time because it was safer.

BeautifulChaos

She did turn her :( She asked me to help her try and put the seat in the middle, but I'm not sure that is feasible in her tiny car. Hopefully we will figure it out

rxmommy

I guess I'd better take my kids out of HBB boosters, then, because I can see those in my rear view mirror. :rolleyes: And maybe everyone in the back should lay down, too, because people's heads can obscure your view too. Such BS!!!

luckyclov

I have a 9 year old riding in a fully extended PWSG in the center of my third row. I was pulled over last summer for "obstructed rear view window" and was asked to move the booster somewhere else; I said no. I explained that I was a competent enough driver to utilize my side view mirrors, holes in between third row headrests, and my rear view camera, much like a trucker could...and no one asks them to move their trailers. I also explained my booster didn't work in any other seating position that would still allow my other seats to install properly. And that my 9 year old didn't fit in an adult seatbelt yet and preferred the back on his booster to rest his head (and what the risks were if improper positioning were involved). At the end if that information session, I was sent on my way...with my fully extended booster still sitting in the center of my third row.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

hedgefun

The obstructed view booster argument is ridiculous, what if you had a car full of tall adults? Glad you won that battle!

Baylor

hedgefun said:
The obstructed view booster argument is ridiculous, what if you had a car full of tall adults? Glad you won that battle!

What a moron. That is why there are mirrors on the sides of the car. That rear view is the least reliable one you have.

auto correct hates me

zactayaus

Jeez, what complete BS. Our DVD player flips down from the ceiling of our truck and when it's in use it obstructs our view out our rear view mirror. Plus now that ds3 is FF in my truck his seat obstructs our view way more than it ever did RF. You just learn to compensate.

KaiLing

Gosh I hope that cop pulls me over with a 6'9" husband in the back. Maybe we can get some other over 6' in-laws (some are even women!) to fill up the rest of the car.

bnsnyde

Wow, there is 6 foot 10 inch height limit to the new coaster by us.
Only 18 inches clearance to some giant tower or you'd lose a foot.

Way off topic...but the 6 foot 9 husband reminded me of that.

And I must say that my van is obstructed view all the time, even with nobody in it. All vans have bad visibility compared to cars, and I don't like that. My husband is 6 foot 4 so our kids will be tall, too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC