Third row minivan access, 2013-2016?

T

Tabbers

We are looking to get a newer used minivan, as our "just one more" pregnancy turned out to be twins, due in June! My older daughters will be 6 and 8 (transitioning to HBB and backless booster). The good news is we know what we need: 2 infant seats (Chicco keyfit 30) and next year 2 RF seats in the second row. What are the best options for allowing easy third row access with both infant seat bases and RF seats installed? We will be RF for 3 years, and I don't want my oldest to hate me by the end! Ideally, I would want an 8th seat and be able to install infant seats in center and drivers side second row, but it seems most second row center seats may be too narrow for this. TIA!

ADS

lgenne

Congratulations and welcome!

The Honda Odyssey has a very functional 2nd row center seat. Not every car seat works there, but plenty do. If you have to buy at least one new car seat for each stage anyway, you can just do your research and get something that works there. Bonus: both outboard 3rd row seats have lower anchors that work with latchable boosters, so your older kids wouldn't have to worry about re-buckling their boosters in on their way out of the minivan, and you don't have to worry about the boosters being projectiles in a collision. (I don't think any other minivan on the market has lower anchors that would work for that.)

The captain's chairs are removable, so there can be fantastic access to the 3rd row with your planned setup. It's also possible to tumble a captain's chair if there is a narrow car seat in the center.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC