The upright Radian install trick

tiggercat

diono said:
I had a lengthy conversation with the engineer this morning. I will be posting a video with explanation on Car Seat for the Littles FB page I was premature in my posting.

All is good. If you insert the feet into the bight (crack) this is correct.
If you installed according to the currect manual this is correct.

My idea of the bight was inserting the feet. The seats are tested both ways. Rotation is not an issue if the feet are not inserted into the bight.

Manuals will be made more clear. If you have any suggestions on how to make the manual easier for parents, please submit them to allana.pinkerton@diono.com
Keep in mind a lot of what is in the manual and the way it is worded is mandated by NHTSA.

Sorry for the mishap. It was totally my fault.

Just to clarify, it is permissible to install the radian with the feet out of the bight if it results in an otherwise acceptable install? Is it preferable to have the feet in the bight, or does it make no difference? What about the transfer of loads stuff discussed previously?
Some of us do not have access to the other board, please share the info here as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

crunchierthanthou

LISmama810 said:
If the video helps explain it, could you post it here, too? A lot of people don't use Facebook or don't have access to that private group. And others (ahem!) don't find Facebook groups very efficient for lengthy conversations.

Yes, please. I find that group in particular difficult to keep up with.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
What and where is this facebook page? I'm not a big FB user but if important information is being disseminated that way, I'd like to know where I can locate it. :)

crunchierthanthou

What and where is this facebook page? I'm not a big FB user but if important information is being disseminated that way, I'd like to know where I can locate it. :)

It's a group called Car Seats for the Littles. Try this - http://www.facebook.com/groups/CarSeatsForTheLittles/?bookmark_t=group

(maybe drop everything after the last / if that link doesn't work).

you have to request access, which adds one more level to this fiasco. IMO, private groups are a terrible way for company reps to share info like this- even if it does turn out to be erroneous...

Pixels

The video has been posted on the FB group. I won't repost it here because it was clearly intended for that audience, not this board. If you want to see it, join the FB group.

There was a big miscommunication between the engineer, Allanna, and "us." What it boils down to is this:
If you install according the to manual, with the feet flat on the vehicle seat, that is correct.
If you install with the feet wedged into the crack, that is correct. Future manuals will be updated with this information.
If you pull the feet an inch or so forward of the bight, that is INcorrect. The feet must be up against the vehicle seat back or buried in the bight.

Phineasmama

The video has been posted on the FB group. I won't repost it here because it was clearly intended for that audience, not this board. If you want to see it, join the FB group.

There was a big miscommunication between the engineer, Allanna, and "us." What it boils down to is this:
If you install according the to manual, with the feet flat on the vehicle seat, that is correct.
If you install with the feet wedged into the crack, that is correct. Future manuals will be updated with this information.
If you pull the feet an inch or so forward of the bight, that is INcorrect. The feet must be up against the vehicle seat back or buried in the bight.

Thanks for posting- that's kinda what I figured all along.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Allana sent me the video. Give me a moment to see if I can embed it here.

ETA: Uploading to youtube with her permission. Give me a few minutes.

Last edited:

Ladyl

Ok so what if the closest you can get to the bight or vehicle seat back is a couple inches away?

I'm having a hard time picturing how that would happen. I think by seat back they mean the vertical part of the seat. Something would have to be pushing the foot away from the seat back, and if it's not the seat back itself I'm not sure what it would be. I think the the part under the bight counts as seat back. I have a car with raised bight too.

ETA: Wow, ignore this post. I get it now.

Last edited:

Syllieann

Ok so what if the closest you can get to the bight or vehicle seat back is a couple inches away?

In your car, I imagine they'll tell you to put the feet in the bight and use an angle adjuster. They say the AA is tested and ok to use. I understand your concern w/ the total amount of contact, but from Diono's perspective, they've given you a thoroughly tested solution already.

Keeanh

I think you should take several pictures and e-mail Alana, and then post here so we can all get some clarification. I'll get some pics of my car too.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
In your car, I imagine they'll tell you to put the feet in the bight and use an angle adjuster. They say the AA is tested and ok to use. I understand your concern w/ the total amount of contact, but from Diono's perspective, they've given you a thoroughly tested solution already.

I physically cannot place the feet in the bight. Even with an angle adjuster, the seat would be dangling in the air with the base not firmly on the vehicle seat. Even if that is approved by Allana, I'm not comfortable with none of the base being in contact with the vehicle seat.

I removed myself from the FB group, but I will email Allana.

ETA: looking at all my pictures, I'm thinking this is just incompatible, period, despite the fact that it's installed rock-solid in there.

mom of six

I am looking for some clarification as I think this thread has become a little muddled with the over-reaction that this announcement caused.

This thread was started because the *upright Radian install trick* was deemed to be a no-no by a comment that Allanna made.
For clarification...*upright Radian Install trick* defined as --pulling the RF boot a couple of inches away from the seat bight then pressing down on the foot area of the seat while tightening the belt with the result that the feet of the RF boot stay away from the back of the seat or the bight?​
If this is the case, from her YouTube video comments it sounds like that is still a no-go. Am I interpreting this correctly?

I did hear her say that it is OK for the feet of the boot to be out of the bight as long as they are TOUCHING the back of the seat. Is this correct?

So correct installs are:
  1. RF Boot feet snuggled into the seat bight
  2. RF Boot feet *TOUCHING* the back (upright portion) of the seat it is installed on

Incorrect Install:
  1. RF boot feet pressed in to the seat portion but *NOT* touching the back (upright portion) of the seat it is installed on.

Is this a correct interpretation of all of this?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'm confused too, but Heather, HI! I moved to AK from Mount Vernon....I was a tech there for years!

Syllieann

I did hear her say that it is OK for the feet of the boot to be out of the bight as long as they are TOUCHING the back of the seat. Is this correct?

So correct installs are:
  1. RF Boot feet snuggled into the seat bight
  2. RF Boot feet *TOUCHING* the back (upright portion) of the seat it is installed on

Incorrect Install:
  1. RF boot feet pressed in to the seat portion but *NOT* touching the back (upright portion) of the seat it is installed on.

Is this a correct interpretation of all of this?

That's what I got from it. However, we still don't know about An Aurora's where there is that funky diaganol spot that isn't clearly seat bottom or back. Please update us when you hear back.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
That's what I got from it. However, we still don't know about An Aurora's where there is that funky diaganol spot that isn't clearly seat bottom or back. Please update us when you hear back.

I will :thumbsup: I uploaded the pictures to the FB site and am waiting for a response.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC