Texas school bus toddler law

squishles10

Sorry if this has been covered. I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I am currently looking at day cares (just in case) and the one I'm most interested in takes the 2s and up on field trips. They say they provide a school bus for the trips. Here's what I understand: in TX seat belts are required on buses purchased after 2010, there is no guarantee that the bus will be one with belts, seat belts aren't safer on buses.

So, is it really safe to put a 2 year old on a bus? The thought of that horrifies me. And without belts there's no way to get a car seat installed, not to mention how do I know it's installed properly. And, if I'm reading correctly, the seats don't work the same on buses as in cars so it's quite possible installing a seat on a bus is worse than no seat at all.

Thoughts? My first one isn't field trips but I don't want to be ridiculous.

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Buses are only safer for school-aged children. Preschoolers and toddlers still need to be restrained on a bus, as they are too small and young to benefit from compartmentalization.

You probably need to clarify with the school whether these buses are really buses, if they have seat belts or child restraints, etc.

jnamommy

When they say they provide a school bus, do they really mean a school bus (ie the big yellow bus), or do they mean a smaller bus-like vehicle?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC