Tethering on plane?

lili

I remember reading somewhere that forward facing car seats are not supposed to be tethered on airplanes. We'll be flying with my 33 pound, 5 year old in a FF Radian and my 2 year old on a RF'ing Advocate (I know, heavy load!).

Anyways, it seems very counterintuitive to NOT tether the forward facing seat. Doesn't the tether prevent the child's head from going into the seat in front of them? Wouldn't this same logic apply on an airplane?

Just wanting to confirm that this is, in fact, correct, and I will NOT be tethering either seat.

Thank you.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Good for you for taking the seat and for thinking about this!

You can't tether on a plane because there are no anchors.

Seats (in the US, at least) are allowed to be used in a car without a tether; it's just better to use one. I wouldn't be concerned about it at all on a plane. Air travel is extremely safe, and turbulence (up-and-down motion, mostly) is a greater concern than the forward motion of a crash/rough landing/aborted takeoff. Even in those cases, the car seat will provide much more protection than the lap belt alone.

So, bottom line: don't tether, and don't worry about it.

tiggercat

Even in Canada (land of the FF tether) we don't tether on airplanes.

Be sure to remove the safestop for the plane ride, since you're installing w/o the tether, and put it back on when you get into a vehicle :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC