Question Tether Anchors

mom of six

Why are car seat users not encouraged to install more TA's in their vehicles, especially as a DIY project. There are plenty of resources on-line that show how to do it. There is even a tutorial from Judi and her trusty sidekick here somewhere. Is it simply a CYA issue?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Standard tether anchors can only be installed in pre-approved points determined and identified by the vehicle manufacturer. Cars that already come equipped with tether anchors typically do not have spots to add more. If people have older cars without anchors, we certainly do encourage them to add tether anchors if they need them.

mom of six

Standard tether anchors can only be installed in pre-approved points determined and identified by the vehicle manufacturer.

I have been a car seat freak for a long time. Well before TA's or even a welded nut were standard in any car. Back then, in the dark ages of passenger safety, there were general instructions on how to install a TA in you vehicle including where to drill a hole and other considerations. It seems to me that this information should still be valid. Even when a car has factory installed TA's why can't the same principles used in the late 70's and early 80's for installing a TA still be used today? I guess I am specifically thinking of higher occupancy vehicles like SUV's or Mini-vans where there is usually only one TA to service a third row that seats three.

Cars that already come equipped with tether anchors typically do not have spots to add more.
What about special needs seats? All those extremely high weight seats require additional anchor points. What about the 86y harness that requires the use of a HD TA and comes with the anchor and instructions on how to install it?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't know enough about differences in vehicles from the 1970s and today to be able to comment on specifics in that regard. I know in the past when this topic has been discussed, there was concern about drilling through a fuel line.

In a typical car, you'd install an anchor on the back sill. It seems that there would be little serious damage that could be done there. Considering that a typical car (sedan) will already have anchors in all back seat positions, it's a moot point.

It's not until you get into 3-row vehicles that you might have fewer anchors than seating positions. In a vehicle like that, you're looking at drilling into the floor, and that gets a little more complex.

If I needed to install a heavy-duty anchor, it's not something I would do without a very great understanding of my vehicle and all its components.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC