Question Techs, how comfortable would YOU be

ZephyrBlue

When installed correctly RF, the CA65 is ridiculous in my Yukon XL. DD is almost 2.5 and it's crazy reclined. How comfortable would you be in making the parental decision to forego the recline "line" on the seat and install it much more upright?

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I install mine more upright when I use it, but I'm not terribly comfortable with it. It's why I no longer recommend that seat. When the new dual-line indicators finally become available here in the US (they're already out in Canada), it should be back on my "nice" list. In the meantime, I'm using a RA55 instead. I had to send my CA65 back to Dorel for unrelated issues, but my replacement is backordered. When it gets here, if the replacement doesn't have dual-line indicators then I'm going to have to think long and hard about whether to keep it or sell it and buy a Radian when DD gets too tall for the RA55. A Radian didn't used to be an option in that seating position, but now that the angle adjuster is available that's changed.

They have said that the seat passes crash tests more upright. They have also insisted that the instructions need to be followed, and if they can't be followed the seat should be turned FF or a different seat should be selected. Different people read different things into those statements and make different choices about it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
100% comfortable. First, they've stated that the seats pass testing more upright (but they want it reclined), and second, the new seats have a dual line for a 30-45 degree angle, and yet they're structurally exact to the current lineup.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
100% comfortable. First, they've stated that the seats pass testing more upright (but they want it reclined), and second, the new seats have a dual line for a 30-45 degree angle, and yet they're structurally exact to the current lineup.

Wendy

:yeahthat:

That exactly. I was 100% comfortable with it when I had them, if I had them again, I'd be 100% comfortable now. When asked to explain WHY, the rep never could give a good explaination. They are just being stubborn, because they don't ever want to say "we messed up a bit, you can go against the directions because in your circumstances it's better." They made the improvement for future seats without any other changes, but seemed to do so kicking and screaming as it were and still refuse to comment on the exact same seat without the sticker... Yeah, I don't have a problem with it.

honeydew

I'm perfectly fine installing my CA more upright, in fact, I haven't even given it a 2nd thought.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would be very comfortable with it, but I know there are other techs who are adamantly against it.

It's definitely a situation where you need to do as much research as possible in threads and form your own opinion, because YMMV in threads like these. :)

glockchick

I'd do it for my child, but I wouldn't tell someone else to do it for liability reasons. ;) But then again, I won't use a Dorel seat because they feel cheap to me so I guess my answer doesn't really count.

Last edited:

Brigala

CPST Instructor
On a related note, has anybody had any recent or updated information about when the dual-line ones are going to be available in the US?

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm not comfortable with it, but I'm a nanny so I don't feel that it is my choice to make such a big "parental decision" for a child that is not mine. I also would not going over the 40 inch rule.

I know I'm one of the few techs who is against this, but every time I called Dorel, I was told not to use it more upright by multiple people. I'd rather follow what the manufacturer says than to go against them, so I would never recommend that anyone else should go against the manufacturer.

SignCuer

I'm totally fine with it. I'm a nanny as well and do explain the situations to the parents beforehand and I have not had a problem about it.

ZephyrBlue

Thanks for your input, everyone. I wound up returning the CA. Even installed upright, I wasn't absolutely thrilled with it. It was an acceptable install, but still felt pretty darn flimsy :( I wanted to like it for the RF legroom, but just couldn't love the install enough to keep it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC