Tall boosters with latch - Is this list correct? Any others?

Athena

Well they are angled, position is very similar to the Frontier, but I have no clue if they're what you need. The Frontier does go quite tall, is she built narrow?

Sounds like it might be worth a try. I'm just trying to figure out what might be worth trying. There's no way to really know without trying it, but I don't want to try 20 boosters, so I'm trying to narrow it down the best I can. ;)

Yep, she's very narrow. She's about 50" and 46 pounds with clothes. Yet, the Parkway SGL (that I thought wasn't all that narrow) fits her great in the other car, but doesn't work with my car's belt. You can see a picture showing the problem here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=240637

I tried her in the Frontier 85 simulating booster mode: moved boot backwards, put belt through guide, but on top harness height. I need to check the manual because I'm not sure if that's even an allowed booster height, but I was really just trying to get an idea of if the belt guide works with our belt (yes!) and if she might be wide enough for it, and it looked iffy to me. Still, in another 6 months to a year when she outgrows that last harness slot, who knows. But I can't wait til then to make a decision because I need to hand down one of her Frontiers very soon. Worst case, I choose a booster that only works in car 2, but then I can't be the one to booster train her and I don't think anyone is all that comfortable with that. Probably way more detail than you needed. :D Thanks!

ADS

Athena

What vehicle is it? If I know anyone with one I have a skinny kid who could try it out.

That's so nice of you. It's an 07 Forester. They fixed the shoulder belts in the latest generation of Foresters, but we have the previous car seat unfriendly version. If I'd only known when we bought it.

ahgirls

I won a Safety 1st Boost Air Protect in their monthly drawing and am really liking it. It (along with the Pronto) is the tallest on the market, it has great headwings, and it has OODLES of growing room. Good leg support too. And cupholders, which is important to her. She wants a pink one so this will become a spare when we buy her a pink one, but other than that she's very happy and at this point I don't see a point in choosing a different one for her main seat, with current options on the market. (And it's nice and light so I don't worry about the lack of LATCH and has great belt positioning on her.)

This was her growth room when her torso was 20.25" (right before she shot up that extra 0.25" and I had to switch her):

For comparison, same-day shot in the FR85, which measured right at 20.5" top slots in the third row of my Ody:

I have a couple of questions on your seat find.
1. What is the texture like on the fabric?
2. Would it work with a Y-86?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I guess kind of slick? Similar to many of the Complete Air fabrics... I have no idea on the 86-y,, I don't know enough about it to say.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That's so nice of you. It's an 07 Forester. They fixed the shoulder belts in the latest generation of Foresters, but we have the previous car seat unfriendly version. If I'd only known when we bought it.

I can ask around. What model years would have those belts, do you know?

Athena

I can ask around. What model years would have those belts, do you know?

I wish I knew. I know they fixed them when they redesigned the whole vehicle for 2009, but that's all I know. Sorry. Please don't put yourself out for this. If it happens to work out without inconveniencing you, great. If not, I'll figure it out. Thanks!

Athena

I don't consider the cruiserfix tall, didn't stop me from buying one since I figured I could always move Elizabeth to the monterey after she outgrows it.

Here are pix here, sorry they are so dark!
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=228510

Thanks! I'm curious what made you do that instead of just getting the Monterey from the start? The Kiddy looks really nice, but I don't know that I'd want to spend another $100+ for one more inch. Is it really that nice? Also, does it have at least one cup holder? I don't see one.

If I'm spending over $100 - $200 or more, I'm really hoping to find something 21" or more, so she has at least two inches of torso growth above her current setting. It's tempting to say, that's only .5" less (assuming the 20.5" in the spreadsheet is accurate), but then I might keep doing that until I'm down to 19.5". Still, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks!

emandbri

Thanks! I'm curious what made you do that instead of just getting the Monterey from the start? The Kiddy looks really nice, but I don't know that I'd want to spend another $100+ for one more inch. Is it really that nice? Also, does it have at least one cup holder? I don't see one.

I mostly didn't get another Monterey because I was annoyed with them for not making a brown or tan booster, I have been asking for one for years! ;) was planning on getting a walnut kiddy but in the end decided to let her choose and she wanted purple. I also wanted something easier to move, I find the latch on the Monterey hard to undo and I do home child care and wasn't sure how often I would have to move seats around. So far it hasn't been too bad but I have another baby starting in Aug. Lastly I just wanted something new to play with!

I am looking forward to seeing the new pro booster, I have one just sitting in my garage because of the tipping issue, I really hope the new one doesn't tip. I think if they fixed the tipping problem it might just be the perfect booster!

It doesn't have a cup holder, wasn't a concern for me since she has one in that spot.

Athena

Okay, that makes sense. I am very curious about the new probooster and wish it was coming out sooner.

Athena

I won a Safety 1st Boost Air Protect in their monthly drawing and am really liking it. It (along with the Pronto) is the tallest on the market, it has great headwings, and it has OODLES of growing room. Good leg support too. And cupholders, which is important to her. She wants a pink one so this will become a spare when we buy her a pink one, but other than that she's very happy and at this point I don't see a point in choosing a different one for her main seat, with current options on the market. (And it's nice and light so I don't worry about the lack of LATCH and has great belt positioning on her.)

One more question on this seat. Does it require vehicle head rest support? I forgot about this, but that's another problem I have with my horrible car. The vehicle head rests stick forward horribly, making it difficult to impossible to use a seat that requires me to leave them in. They push the seat/booster forward awkwardly. I want a new car, but I don't see it happening this year, maybe not for a few years. Thanks, again!

Still trying to narrow my options. :) I'm still leaning towards something with latch, but so far my only good choice might be the Oobr :eek:, so I don't want to rule this out too quickly.

Athena

It requires support but it does angle forward a little to accommodate headrests.

I've just been told that I can turn my vehicle head rest around backwards. :confused: I still feel a little nervous about it because it says nothing in the manual, but if that's true, that would probably open up additional options, so I'm hoping it's true. :)

Athena

I've just been told that I can turn my vehicle head rest around backwards. :confused: I still feel a little nervous about it because it says nothing in the manual, but if that's true, that would probably open up additional options, so I'm hoping it's true. :)

Or maybe not. I just tried it and it didn't seem to be working and I didn't want to force it. Anyone done it successfully?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC