Talk to me about sedans

CommMom

Senior Community Member
DH drives an 02' Regal. He loves the car, but lately it's started to have problems. It's been to the mechanic 3x in the last 2 months (for 3 separate issues). We're hoping to baby it along until we pay off our van, but are starting to get nervous about it. So I'm starting to think about what we might want to replace it with.

We'd rather have something full or mid-sized (no small cars) with decent trunk space. We don't really need an SUV (nor do we want the cost of one), though I guess a crossover might be an option if the price were right. Needs to fit 2 car seats and have good leg & head room. Nothing over 100k miles, would prefer it be as low mileage as possible. Good safety stats & features, obviously. Good gas mileage is a plus. We'll probably look at spending around $8k, might do more for the perfect car.

What should we be looking at? I haven't looked at cars in forever, so I don't even know where to start.

ADS

beetlemama

I would look at the toyota camry and honda accord. Not positive which years/mileage you'll get for $8K, but both brands are known to last forever. I also wouldn't discount the honda civic. It has gotten bigger over the years. I know we borrowed MILs for a 10 day road trip a few years ago and had two kids, all our luggage, a double stroller and a ton of room left over. And civics last forever; my friend finally just got rid of his 1994 civic two years ago with well over 200K miles!

The Corolla is the same as the Civic. The problem is, whether new or old, you really don't save much by going with them over the Accord/Camry. Gas mileage is different tho. That may or may not be a factor. For us, the extra space is worth the difference in gas.

beetlemama

The Corolla is the same as the Civic. The problem is, whether new or old, you really don't save much by going with them over the Accord/Camry. Gas mileage is different tho. That may or may not be a factor. For us, the extra space is worth the difference in gas.

My 6' tall DH can't fit comfortably in my aunt's corolla even without anyone behind him (just too little legroom and a poorly placed glove compartment) but can sit comfortably in his mom's civic. They are both 2007. MIL can also fit more cargo than my aunt can. They're similar cars but somehow the civic feels a lot bigger (having been in both frequently).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC