Talk this out with me, please...Evenflo SecureKid 400 or Symphony 65 e3?

momtoo3

Which one would you pick for a FF seat? I am worried about head slump with ds3 in the SecureKid. I played with a Symphony a while back when ds3 was RF and loved it but didn't try it FF. The SureLatch was awesome RF. I wish I would have tried it FF. I also like the infinite slide harness on the Symphony. So for my questions:

*Does the FF recline (position 2) on the Symphony have enough recline to prevent head slump? If so that seems like a big pro to me over the SecureKid.

*Is the Symphony harness as close together at the neck as the Maestro and SecureKid? Ds3 complained in his Maestro in FIL's car last weekend.

*Does anyone know how high the Symphony sits up on the base when FF? DS3 has trouble climbing into his MA70, Is it lower than that?

*From the pics I have looked at the SecureKid makes a decent booster. How is the Symphony as a booster? (Ds3 is tiny at 3.5 yrs 29 pounds and 37ish inches. His torso height is about 13 inches. I have no plans to booster him anytime soon but am looking to not have to buy a bunch more seats. I would like this next one to make a decent booster that will last for a little while. I figure when/if he outgrows it he can move into ds2's hbb's and ds2 can get new nbb's.) I love buying new seats but money is tighter now and I don't know what the future holds.

The only other seats I am considering are the CA and FR85. The FR85 installs nicely in my van with LATCH but is kind of overkill for my little shrimp. He fits great in the CA but I haven't tried it FF in my van and it doesn't become a booster. Both are still possibilities though. So what would you get?

ADS

firemomof3

I do get some head slump in our SK300. I think the Symphony would have a nice recline ff and with your son being on the small side, it would be a fine choice. I wouldn't look at either of those seats for the booster mode qualities because the SK 300 booster mode has a strange shoulder belt path and I think the Symphony did OK in booster mode but it would have very little leg support. For a smaller child I would also look at the ProSport. It fits smaller kids really well in booster mode, is great for sleeping (neither my dd2 or ds had any head slump) and is super easy to use/install.

henrietta

I think the ProSport would be a good choice, too. The CA would probably be great, but if he's complaining about the close set straps on the Maestro, the CA is likely to bother him, too IMHO. My kids would never sit in the CA due to the straps.

henrietta

momtoo3

He had a CA RF last year and never complained but I gave it to my sister when I got his MA70. I wish I would have kept it to try it FF. She lives a few hours away so it is hard to get together to try it. Last summer ds3 sat in it FF in her car and did not complain but he has grown (finally) since then so he may complain now. Thank you for pointing that out, I didn't realize the CA had the same issue.

momtoo3

We had a Prosport for ds2 for a couple of weeks. With a seatbelt install the seatbelt dug into his back and hurt. It was right before the wedge came out though. My only other things against the ProSport are the weight restriction on the TT and the short harness. But those may not be issues with ds3 since he is much smaller than ds2. I wish I could play with one locally.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
It's no secret, I am NOT a fan of the SK400. I like the install, but that's where my affections end. I absolutely hate the seat. I can't return it. And I can't sell it without losing my shorts. So I put it in our truck for emergency daycare pick ups and it's only used for a 2mi drive.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
P.S. My little shrimp is 31lbs at almost 5yrs old and his main ride is a FR85. He loves it. And so do I.

SavsMom

I have both the Symphony and the SK400 and like both. The Symphony Installed FF in my car In the full upright position still has a nice natural recline to it. My daughter sleeps nicely in it and it has tons of leg support. The harness isn't quite as close together on it vs. the SK400.

I really like our SK400. DD has had no issues with head slump in it. It is simple to use and very easy to install. In my Prius it has a nice recline and dd says its very comfy.

If I had to buy a full time seat for FF only I would get a Frontier....had one and loved it, but in my smaller car I needed the slimmer SK400 so I had room for passengers in the back, the Frontier just wasn't the best choice as it took up a huge part of my backseat :(

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
momtoo3 said:
*Does the FF recline (position 2) on the Symphony have enough recline to prevent head slump?

*Is the Symphony harness as close together at the neck as the Maestro and SecureKid? Ds3 complained in his Maestro in FIL's car last weekend.

*Does anyone know how high the Symphony sits up on the base when FF? DS3 has trouble climbing into his MA70, Is it lower than that?

How is the Symphony as a booster?

Even in the most upright position it has a nice recline. The FF recline has restrictions for weight and possibly height (can't remember off the top of my head).

I think it is wider, no complaints from my kids (RF or FF) about it bothering them... we had 2 Maestros that I sold because of the narrow harness :(

It is VERY high on the base. WAY higher than a Nautilus or Maestro.

Its an ok booster, not something I would use every day as a booster. I did use it one for an emergency car pool situation and it was a decent fit across the hips/thighs and shoulder placement was good BUT the seat is SO wide that the child had fistfuls of room to slide left to right within the seat and I didn't like that....

Sent from my DROIDX using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC