Sweden car seats.

ADS

lourdes

But in the case of those seats that only have one they also work with the same seatbelt like buckle? Or they are like US seats like the D-ring?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
But in the case of those seats that only have one they also work with the same seatbelt like buckle? Or they are like US seats like the D-ring?

Every brand has a different system but they don't utilize d-rings; however, instead, the tether itself wraps around a part of the seat in front, or the seat it's on, depending on what kind of seat you're installing on. It threads through itself like a d-ring strap does. I don't know what exactly you mean by "seatbelt like buckle" but I'm thinking you're referring to the mechanism that connects it back to the seat, which may be a buckle on some seats but on many is LATCH-type connectors (either push-on connectors or hooks.) So... it's basically the same kind of thing, you're wrapping around the seat and the difference is instead of the tether coming and connecting to the part that wraps, the tether has the connector, and connects to a designated spot on the seat instead. Not very different really in practice.

Carseat.se has a lot of manuals, you can read them and look at the pictures and get an idea of the variety of anchorage systems there are. There are a bunch of different ways they work (though generally on the same principles.)

lourdes

I read somewhere here that the D-ring is to reduce the rebound but that in an accident after preventing the rebound it can break just like a locking clip, it's the same with the sweden seats?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't think a d-ring is remotely the same as a locking clip. A locking clip is a pre-crash positioner. A d-ring, or rf tethers on swedish seats, are meant to be a structural part of installation.

Now, I suppose with high enough crash forces the thing it's attached to could break, but that's true of either method of tethering; it's also why you have to be careful selecting anchor points and why I would not rf tether in some vehicles.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I read somewhere here that the D-ring is to reduce the rebound but that in an accident after preventing the rebound it can break just like a locking clip, it's the same with the sweden seats?

The D-ring does nothing to reduce rebound. It is just a way to attach the rear-facing tether.

lourdes

carseatcoach said:
The D-ring does nothing to reduce rebound. It is just a way to attach the rear-facing tether.

I know that, I mean the whole mechanism, the D-ring and the rear-facing tether.

lourdes

ketchupqueen said:
I don't think a d-ring is remotely the same as a locking clip. A locking clip is a pre-crash positioner. A d-ring, or rf tethers on swedish seats, are meant to be a structural part of installation.

Now, I suppose with high enough crash forces the thing it's attached to could break, but that's true of either method of tethering; it's also why you have to be careful selecting anchor points and why I would not rf tether in some vehicles.

I am talking about the material of the metal part, I don't remember what was the thread about but I read that they are both the same material and I also read that the locking clip is more likely to break in a crash, so I imagine the D-ring will break too. Please remember that I am trying my best to be understand here, my first languish is spanish and sometimes is difficult to translate what I am thinking.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Why a locking clip is possibly going to break (more likely-come off and/or deform) is a function of its position and shape. It's very unlikely that a d-ring would break due to its shape, construction, and use. I could see it deforming in some circumstances; the webbing is likely to stretch in a crash, and if the part it's attached to isn't strong and stable, that could break. The metal itself breaking is pretty unlikely-webbing is going to stretch first, in the tether and d-ring.

lourdes

ketchupqueen said:
Why a locking clip is possibly going to break (more likely-come off and/or deform) is a function of its position and shape. It's very unlikely that a d-ring would break due to its shape, construction, and use. I could see it deforming in some circumstances; the webbing is likely to stretch in a crash, and if the part it's attached to isn't strong and stable, that could break. The metal itself breaking is pretty unlikely-webbing is going to stretch first, in the tether and d-ring.

Ok, good enough explanation for me, so the US car seats are as safe as the Sweden car seats in the matter of rear facing tethers and anti rebound, the only real benefit of a Sweden car seat is his higher rear facing limit?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That or longer use by height are generally why people buy them. We don't have testing standards that include rf tethers and they do, so we can't quantify how our seats perform vs. theirs in that regard. But the general principle is similar and makes sense. Canada now has an anti-rebound standard but doesn't have a test bench that allows for tethering, so looking at how their seats meet it is interesting.

lourdes

Now out of curiosity, I know that in Sweden they like to install car seats in the front seat, how do they tether the seat when install in the front?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Under the seat it's on. You can do the same in a captains chair in a minivan. The tether(s) wrap around the seat to be installed on, then thread under and attach and are tightened, as they would if coming from the seat in front.

lourdes

ketchupqueen said:
Under the seat it's on. You can do the same in a captains chair in a minivan. The tether(s) wrap around the seat to be installed on, then thread under and attach and are tightened, as they would if coming from the seat in front.

Right.

lourdes

I am not going to buy it but trying to find out how much will it cost if I want one I found this on eBay, it is from a 99.3% positive feedback seller an it accepts returns. It is a Britax Evolva 123 plus, to me it looks like the Multi-Tech, it is around 260.00 US $ with shipping. I think the price is too low.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC