Suggestions please!

My daughter just turned 4 years old, is 38.5lbs and 40.75in tall.
She is currently in a Britax Marathon but isn't as comfortable in it anymore and I'll also be needing that seat for my 3 month old son in a few months.

I'm wanting to get the Frontier 85 for my 4 year old which will be in the 3rd row of an 08 town and country.

Does anybody have any other suggestions or any pro's and con's of the next step up car seats.

TIA

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
In addition to the Frontier, I'd also look at the Graco Nautilus, Recaro ProSport, and Evenflo Maestro. All should have enough harness to get your daughter to a mature booster age, and other than the Maestro, they all make decent boosters.

Wendy

which do you suggest more. the britax or the graco? is the britax really worth the money? i think i kind of like the fact that the graco can be a backless booster but the britax doesn't offer that.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That's up to you. The Frontier has higher top slots and makes a taller booster. But the Graco's top slots are enough to get most kids to a fine booster age and it becomes a backless booster. It's also a lot cheaper and a lot easier to install.

The Frontier generally fits broader kids better, the Nautilus narrower kids.

They're next to one another at BRU, if you have a store near you.

Wendy

That's up to you. The Frontier has higher top slots and makes a taller booster. But the Graco's top slots are enough to get most kids to a fine booster age and it becomes a backless booster. It's also a lot cheaper and a lot easier to install.

The Frontier generally fits broader kids better, the Nautilus narrower kids.

They're next to one another at BRU, if you have a store near you.

Wendy

My daughter just turned 4 years old 2 weeks ago and is the size of most 5 and some 6 year olds. I used to be all about only buying Britax but the Nautilus price is more appealing now that we have 3 kids to support. She is bigger but has been thinning out ever since she turned 2. She's a tall one!

This is a really hard decision. I'm hoping I can get some more opinions.

I just placed my order at diapers.com for the frontier 85. I feel pretty confident. I have to keep telling myself that the cost of safety is not an issue. Plus, we travel a lot and reviews say the britax is more "chushy" than the graco.

Thanks for the help!:thumbsup:

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
LOL...you didn't wait too long for those additional opinions! ;)

Glad you're happy with your choice!

For you, or anyone else reading this, don't feel that you're taking a step down when choosing something like a Nautilus over a Frontier. I can only speak for myself, but as a tech I chose the Nautilus and the additional money really isn't an issue for us. Britax doesn't have a magic bubble that surrounds your child, spending more money doesn't necessarily make them safer. What's important is choosing a seat that fits your child, your budget, and your car and using it correctly 100% of the time...no matter what brand the seat is. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
LOL...you didn't wait too long for those additional opinions! ;)

Glad you're happy with your choice!

For you, or anyone else reading this, don't feel that you're taking a step down when choosing something like a Nautilus over a Frontier. I can only speak for myself, but as a tech I chose the Nautilus and the additional money really isn't an issue for us. Britax doesn't have a magic bubble that surrounds your child, spending more money doesn't necessarily make them safer. What's important is choosing a seat that fits your child, your budget, and your car and using it correctly 100% of the time...no matter what brand the seat is. :thumbsup:

I need it by this weekend so I didn't have long to wait for opinions. I waited as long as I could, I need it to ship today so I get it by Saturday. We travel a lot and also, if we get stationed across the country, we have to drive that distance, so comfort is very important for us. Plus, my 4 year old isn't narrow, she's more broad and Wendy mentioned the britax is more for bigger kids, which my dd is.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC