State agrees to $4.25M settlement for baby's brain injuries in car-seat mishap.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
That's awful. I really, really hope this spurs mandatory CPS training (and my CPS in this case I mean child passenger safety).

jjordan

It would be great it if led to more child/youth department employees receiving CPS training; I do hope, though, that it doesn't scare anyone off who is currently running a CPS program for fear of being sued.

How tragic for that child. :(

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I do hope, though, that it doesn't scare anyone off who is currently running a CPS program for fear of being sued.

It shouldn't. I hope. Because the problem here was a LACK of training. This was not a case of a certified professional screwing up, it was a case of an employee being expected to know how to use a car seat and transport a child safely without bothering to train her on how to use a car seat.

But yeah, what a horrible situation all around. I hope this child continues to improve over time. It can take a long time to recover from a brain injury and even longer to learn ways to get around the brain injury in order to function as well as possible. The child is young enough there's still some hope she may not be as disabled as they're predicting.

thepote

Oh wow :(. I was expecting something about a crash, but positional asphyxiation of a 5lb infant is just so... preventable with just basic training :(

jjordan

It shouldn't. I hope. Because the problem here was a LACK of training. This was not a case of a certified professional screwing up, it was a case of an employee being expected to know how to use a car seat and transport a child safely without bothering to train her on how to use a car seat.

But yeah, what a horrible situation all around. I hope this child continues to improve over time. It can take a long time to recover from a brain injury and even longer to learn ways to get around the brain injury in order to function as well as possible. The child is young enough there's still some hope she may not be as disabled as they're predicting.

Yes, I absolutely agree. But organizations don't always make the most logical decisions when the decisions are being made out of fear.

bbartlettnfld

Our Car seat group has been trying for years to educate CYFS here, its gone no where.... Its very serious, as the transport is all done by taxi's. I've even had taxi drivers ask me to train CYFS personel as all the Taxi Drivers are not trained here either, they are not exempt in our Provience.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Having been a foster parent, I always thought it ironic that the agency designed to "protect" our children put so little training into protecting the kids while in their care. I have seen so many DHS workers using expired seats, forward facing seats with infants, boosters with toddlers etc. I know they have limited resources, but it is a major issue and one they need to take seriously.

Keeanh

Having been a foster parent, I always thought it ironic that the agency designed to "protect" our children put so little training into protecting the kids while in their care. I have seen so many DHS workers using expired seats, forward facing seats with infants, boosters with toddlers etc. I know they have limited resources, but it is a major issue and one they need to take seriously.

Yep. I went into the storage locker at the police station and found an expired recalled infant seat on the Victims' Services shelf. I know darn well it's there in case they need to transport a baby because they don't have any other reason to have an old seat around.

macmomma

I am a foster parent, have been for years. Itis horrifying how some workers transport the children! Outdated, inappropriate seats. Infants!!! Forward facing. Lose straps. Some are just in a seat belt or 12 month olds in a no back booster- yup, I have seen all of those situations pull up in my driveway:mad:
I am usually very quick to point out the misuse on the seats.
Make me sad and mad

henrietta

If just one of the three people involved had read the manual, this would not have happened.

This is EXACTLY correct. So, basically, NO ONE responsible for transporting the baby actually read the instructions and knew what to do. :eek: I agree that all of those workers should be trained, but I also firmly believe in personal responsibility. When my niece was born 12.5 years ago, I didn't yet have my own children, but I drove her many places. I took the time to read the manual to her car seat, found the site here ;), and made sure she was as safe as I could make her. I realize that no one in this situation is "the bad guy", but this was totally preventable.

Very sad all around.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC