Starting to dislike RFing

soph's mom

Kobain's Mommy said:
I see you have a Radian? Do you have it RFing TTed? In my van we have the dual dvd player for my RFing kids. Both kids are in seats that RF TT so I have them like that. I installed the DVD player/ second monitor backwards on their seats with the flimzy strap. I then got some good sized/thickness zip ties from the local farming store for reinforcement going opposite of the strap. I feel comfortable with that set up. They are less likely to fly off the head rests with the zip ties, and my kids are less likely to rebound with the RFing TT.

This sounds like something I'd be interested in but I can't follow exactly what you did. I probably makes perfect sense but it's early and I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet... Haha! Could you by any chance post a pic?

ADS

_juune

I certainly would not turn a child FF because of falling asleep. My daughter just turned 3 and still, if it's past her nap-time [she usually sleeps once during the day], there is pretty much nothing one can do to stop her from falling asleep while in car. Even if I sit next to her [while husband drives] and talk to her, or even gently tickle her she will fall asleep. The situation has improved now that she is bigger, though. I remember being unable to keep her awake for a 5 minute ride when she was about 1,5 years old. Therefore I try my best to plan any driving when it's not her nap-time.
I bet the novelty of being FF will wear off and the LO will fall asleep all the same :(

bnsnyde

At 2 we gave up naps and the quick carseat naps saved him! He'll probably fit in his RF seat until 4 so we have some time (he's just 3 now). But for now, it's working out. I think at 2 they just fall asleep, and the direction of the seat wouldn't make him sleep more or less.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My 3y6m old nanny kiddo falls asleep in the car EVERY TIME. He hasn't napped for about a year, but once he gets in the car, he's out. He is FFing now, but it didn't make a difference. I could be singing as loud as possible, and he'd still fall asleep.

I don't think it's because of RFing. :twocents:

Carrie_R

Just wanted to agree with the others. I insisted that my big kids (aged 6, 8, 9, 10) have high-backed boosters last summer in my car. Their parents thought I was crazy when I explained that they'd sleep on our field trips -- until I texted them a photo of us arriving home with everyone in the car out like a light. They were FF and had been for years, and they'd all given up naps around age 4. Cars cause sleeping. If you're concerned with his car naps perpetuating problems with his sleep schedule, I would try to stay home for a couple of consecutive days and try to sort out his nighttime sleep. If the nighttime sleep is his own issue, he may well NEED those few minutes of shut-eye in the car. :twocents:

kkcoconut

What does RFing TTed mean?

I think part of the reason why I have a problem with him falling asleep is because I have been diagnosed with a rare heart condition and it causes my body to work 3 times harder then a healthy person. I switched him from the britax advocate because it took too much energy to lift him up and put him in the center of the car ESP with the heat. That's why I switched to the radian. I can make it through the day feeling ok if I take a nap half way through but can't take a nap if he doesn't. If I don't take a nap I start feeling real sick. So it all really comes down to me wanting to turn him FFing for my own selfish reasons. Not to mention it took a lot less energy putting him in FFing.

Baylor

What does RFing TTed mean?

I think part of the reason why I have a problem with him falling asleep is because I have been diagnosed with a rare heart condition and it causes my body to work 3 times harder then a healthy person. I switched him from the britax advocate because it took too much energy to lift him up and put him in the center of the car ESP with the heat. That's why I switched to the radian. I can make it through the day feeling ok if I take a nap half way through but can't take a nap if he doesn't. If I don't take a nap I start feeling real sick. So it all really comes down to me wanting to turn him FFing for my own selfish reasons. Not to mention it took a lot less energy putting him in FFing.

Those reasons along with your health are good reasons for ff a 2 yr old if you ask me. But just because he falls asleep I would not turn him just for that.

I still think he will fall asleep but if it is easier for you, than I would turn him too.

Brianna

RF TTed means rear facing top tethered. The Radian allows you to use your top tether when installed rear facing, not all seats do. Here is info on that http://carseatblog.com/12749/how-to-use-a-rear-facing-tether/

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems loading him when RF. Around age 2 is when I was able to teach J to climb into his seat on his own. If you could start working with yours on teaching him that it would probably help- I know some children at that age aren't as cooperative though.

Carrie_R

Am I reading correctly that you have him in the center? I would try moving him outboard before turning him forward. He'll be able to get in more easily there, too.

babyherder

If you need a nap for your health I would try several things. The first I would try is not going anywhere before naptime. That way he sleeps at home and if he sleeps later in the car its just extra. The second is having rest time every day. Your son can go in his crib with some books and/or quiet toys while you also rest. He can either play or sleep. Your health is important and he'll learn to accommodate your needs.

TXmom2

:yeahthat:

You have to take care of yourself too. I would try to make sure that you had a nap/rest time daily for both of you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC